Why become a member? ×

First track of my new album dedicated to fretless bass only

Hellzero

Hi mates,

Here's the link to Bandcamp where you can find the first track for an album dedicated to fretless bass only : https://tonybertrand.bandcamp.com/track/i-wish-i-was-swiss

I hope it will be finished early next year... or sooner, who knows.

I love ambience and repetitive loops for music and fretless bass is the only way to achieve my goal.

Thanks for your comments, they will be more than appreciated.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

...Thanks for your comments, they will be more than appreciated.

Be wary what you wish for..! ;)

I listened to the track, and couldn't help but to find resemblance (you may not agree..!) with a melody I composed nearly ten years ago, for our monthly Basschat Composition Challenge. A very different treatment, naturally, but, to me, the echos came across the (close to a ...) decade.
As for your piece, and notwithstanding the above, I can't deny that's it's well played, if slightly stilted in the fingering, but (again, to me; you will not agree...) lacked the fullness to be thought of as complete. The sound of the instrument is finely detailed, and is not in question. It's the mere solitude of the intrument that holds it back. I would be loth to listen to a whole album played in this fashion.
Well, you asked for opinions; this is mine. Congratulations on a fine recording, of course, and well done for composing and performing so well, and for sharing. I'm sorry if I come across as harsh; I would have liked to be more positive. Peace. :friends:

Oh, and here's the piece evoked, from 2013, composition inspired by the picture offered by the previous month's winner (a ghostly wedding dress...)...

Thanks for your comments Douglas.

That said, I can't find any resemblance with my melody, yours being closer to the French national hymn in fact, when mine is closer to Words by The Christians, without being a plagiarism. 😉

I noticed the above resemblance when playing my tune, but the melody was so obsessive in my head that I had to play and record it.

The tone of the fretless is quite close in both melodies (yours and mine) and the breathing (I wouldn't say rhythm as I try to forget it) are quite close, but not the same at all.

Thanks to you I have the title of the album: Loneliness boredom of mere solitude. 😂

My approach is to show the fretless as it is, quite raw, for sure, but mere solitude is quite spot on, and I like it.

That said as all the tunes will be without any overdubs, the balance will come from the flow of the music within these tunes.

And you're not harsh, but honest, which is different and I appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1