Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: Vocal booth 1.6 x 1.6 x 2.1 metres
£1500
CANTERBURY

I bought this in mid-2020 as lockdown forced me to produce all my educational content online. It enabled me to not only exclude external noise but also to have a very nicely controlled room acoustically. We're moving house and as part of that move I'm anticipating a larger studio build. As I'm going to have to dismantle and move the sound booth anyway, and as I suspect that in reality I won't be rebuilding it anytime soon if at all, seems it might a good idea to sell it now. It's great for recording vocals whether sung or spoken, loud instruments (brass) and even drums assuming your drummist is happy with a pretty small kit (PS that's my daughter's kit and not currently set up to play before any drummists comment!!). Also very good for DB as while the room is arguably a little dead for DB it does at least control the things that can make recording DB such a pain, it's easier to introduce some wanted ambience in the mix than get rid of the unwanted ambience in a room (DB in the photos is a very large 4/4 BTW). It's also a very useful rehearsal space if you have close neighbours (I know of an orchestral trumpet player who has one of these in his London flat for practice). Obviously it would be collection only and would require a van or large estate car. I'll take some more photos once I've clear the area around it. Happy to talk trades on this also 👍

Booth Size: 1.6m x 1.6m x 2.05m 
·       Double thickness walls (44mm)

·       Acoustic foam (internal)

·       Acoustic grey carpet liner (internal + external)

·       Fan assisted active ventilation

·       LED downlight with ceiling ambient rgbw glow

·       Door glazed with multilayer acoustic designed glass

·       Wireless power remotes for lights and ventilation

562CB154-AF0F-4D37-AA39-8519D3E96906_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a9789ed5c2067ca6e3fee824779504c6.jpeg

F8B6A1B0-2999-4CE7-8660-D5777644DC56_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.efc0434e9aa91645d2dc0bc8477421a1.jpeg

52031AC2-CE17-4B72-A31F-FBB2791A53A6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d548c77b56138aab5c384b784ada441e.jpeg

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Celeste said:

Hi!  I'm really interested in this if it's still available. Is there a way we can chat? Can I contact you directly somehow?  (Sorry, I'm new to this forum!) 

Thanks! Celeste

Hi Celeste, I'll drop you a PM now (private message), click on the envelop icon at the top right of the page to find it

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

This'll be available for about another week if you're in the market for one of these it's not only a very good price (prices have gone up hugely since I had it built) but it'll also save you quite a wait as it seems a few of the builders are struggling to get materials at present

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

Is it any good for putting children in? 
Like, could you hear them if they were in there for say an hour or four?

Does it have a lock on the outside..?

Asking for a friend…

My 9-year old plays drums in there and I hear a muffled sound at about the same level as ants walking across a floor! 

An yes, please tell your friend that a simple padlock would suffice :)  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

My 9-year old plays drums in there and I hear a muffled sound at about the same level as ants walking across a floor! 

An yes, please tell your friend that a simple padlock would suffice :)  

Thanks Chris. I’ll let him (or her…) know. GLWTS 

• Haha 1

Well, I started taking this apart on Friday and it was clear that it is a bloody well engineered piece of kit, after 2-hours I'd only managed to get the door out. Continued for another couple of hours on Saturday managing to get the whole front wall out.

BDBB03E7-719F-4E1D-9D86-D4EE0C7F3985_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c5a962fe8ac86150d989e3f31abfade7.jpeg

But even what was to all intents just over half a side wall weighed a bloody tonne even without the door and rather heavy glass!!! So, i decided to call on a few friends to do the rest but realised pretty quickly that this is a job for pros, we left a ladder and some wood in there just in case having dislodged the ceiling ever so slightly!

08A83BA2-C361-4085-9456-A0DDFECC693C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e5493d333de22b5ae643b3b4bd36acea.jpeg

Today four very strong and experienced removal guys came in, and it nearly beat them as well. While I was cursing the builders at times for having used so many screws and such heavy panels, it brought home the difference between buying an off the shelf and relatively lightweight unit (I looked at a few that were all very expensive compared to this) and having one engineered by guys who know what they're doing.

Even the base weighed a tonne and turned out to be, like the sides, triple ply and about 3-4cms thick! 

7F2C0037-9EBB-4E33-8FB6-37F046B40E23_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.13a34e7c1bc37fa33052fb7723634258.jpeg

No idea how I'm going to get it back together in the new studio, but that's a problem for a couple of month's time now I guess 👍

• 3 months later...

So, we moved house about 3-months back and it's unlikely that this booth is going to be rebuilt, at least not in the near future. I was aiming to have a 6x4m wooden cabin built as a small/informal studio but it now looks like there will be a more ambitious approach and hopefully I will start to convert a large outbuilding next year, part of which will be sound insulation and a built in vocal booth.

Further, while I'm tempted to keep it, this sound-booth is now somewhat in the way, so I need it gone really.

If this is something you'd be interested in, I'm very happy to entertain discussions around price, or about trades/PX, it's a very high quality unit for the price and allowed me to keep an income stream during lockdown. Full disclosure, it is VERY heavy, it took four strong removal guys to get the ceiling off so you'd need to plan for this, as well as a minimum of two strong folks to move each piece also. I could arrange some folks to do this at my end but it would be up to you at yours :) 

• Beedster changed the title to FS/FT: Vocal booth 1.6 x 1.6 x 2.5 metres

BTW this booth is larger than the standard 1.2x1.2m vocal booth the builders offered because I wanted it to comfortably accommodate two people talking podcast style (informally seated on a couple of stools), or a small drum kit. It does both well. It would be a great way of kicking off a podcasting or voiceover business 👍 

• Like 1

• Beedster changed the title to FS/FT: Vocal booth 1.6 x 1.6 x 2.1 metres
  • 5 months later...
  • Beedster changed the title to FS/FT: Vocal booth 1.6 x 1.6 x 2.1 metres
  • wateroftyne unlocked this topic

I've been using this to record for the last few months but it's now available again as I'm going to convert an existing cabin on our property into a vocal booth.

Just as a price comparison the below is the same make as mine albeit the standard 1.2 x 1.2m size (mine is significantly larger as 1.6 x 1.6m) listed used at £3,200, which is around what mine cost new IIRC

Happy to talk trades/PX but note that you would need a large vehicle and probably two strong friends to get it out and build it at your place, being double lined for acoustic reasons it is VERY heavy!  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204609057273?hash=item2fa3a671f9:g:bjsAAOSwGhRlm9rf&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwCZe%2FqDVaqmLTOE413pBfoeq5VKBQn7mbSc4V%2FqJ%2FOln6PYlsSvuHp1oAtwquI6DAEcEtDvjWhd%2FfRo5FpsTfvEswg2gZPX3BQS9RehmPffJj%2FGML%2B6EbTG2yNBcE7rhm6DgXxYxkLwMvzTCkf88vTyxIZG5%2Bhuto4Uo7FT4DljFoQKtqG9c0nvGqT0aW19j3hJGGyzhktv6j%2FsVqPvZnOzscrvEU0NFfdxd2kAJ4uPRP4D2e7CvlIXEXpA3XCLJCw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6DBjaKmYw