Why become a member? ×

4x10 or 4x12

Monz

Hi Alex

I am about to order one of Matamps GT200 Bass amps and wondering which way to go with cabs I don't know which way to jump other than away from 15's

I know this is a "how long is a peice of string" question but any advice would be welcome

Cheers

Speaker diameter does make a difference. It's just there are a lot of other factors also. A good 8" speaker in a good enclosure will be able to do a surprising amount, but a good 15" in a good enclosure will do more. just because speaker diameter is not a good thing to solely judge a cabinet on does not mean it doesn't make a difference.

The real question is 'why away from 15s?'. If it is a cab size issue, then you can get a fair bit dinkier 4x10 that is good than a 4x12.

If I had the cashes I'd go for a Vintage with my valve amps, I want less off-axis output so I can hide from feedback.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='465510' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:45 PM']just because speaker diameter is not a good thing to solely judge a cabinet on does not mean it doesn't make a difference.[/quote]

sorry, just generalizing. there are really too many other factors in play for it to mean much though -- except in terms of things like response lobing and radiation patterns. and even then, radiation patterns are greatly effected by the type, size, and build of the enclosure. see what i mean? too many factors -- this isn't even getting into half of it! :)

[quote name='Monz' post='465487' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:25 PM']Hi Alex

I am about to order one of Matamps GT200 Bass amps and wondering which way to go with cabs I don't know which way to jump other than away from 15's

I know this is a "how long is a peice of string" question but any advice would be welcome

Cheers[/quote]
nice choice with the bass amp those things sound sexy

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='465978' date='Apr 18 2009, 10:59 AM']I'm just not that keen on 4x10" and 4x12" cabs because they are the wrong shape for so many reasons. Are you basing your desire to switch from 15"s on your experience with the Markbass cabs?

Alex[/quote]

My experience with 15" cabs stretches to Markbass and Ashdown Mag yet everytime I have tried 4x10 it has sounded fuller and rounder/smoother should this not be the case?

When will you have the much whispered about Vintage ready for trying?

Many of the Markbass 15"s are rather short on interna volume, hence lack of fullness to the tone and the Ashdown Mag are a bit handicapped by being so price constrained. The first Vintages will be done later this month - note they sound very similar to a pair of Compacts, just a bit bigger and fatter in the lows. Though saying that no-one other than me has heard a pair of Compacts! :) (Which do the usual stacked matched pair trick of sounding a lot louder, bigger, fatter and clearer than a lone cab).

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='485206' date='May 11 2009, 05:24 PM']Though saying that no-one other than me has heard a pair of Compacts! :)[/quote]

I might have done - I heard someone playing bass the other day and I'm only 25 miles away :rolleyes: