Why become a member? ×

Yet another micro cab- |really?

Random Guitarist

At risk of looking or sounding like a bandwagoneer @Pea Turgh inspired me with his build of the design by @Phil Starrand this happened . . .

Mine is built from MDF (bad choice) using a Fenton "200w" speaker from ebay. The seller claims the driver goes down to 35hz but doesn't supply a graph.

I put a port in 'tuned' for around 38Hz and am quite happy with the bottom E provided by the arrangement.

Overall the sound feels balanced and it's a very worthwhile project. I feel that the  smaller speaker does provide more nuance on how I'm playing and is valuable even if it only provides evidence of my technical flaws. Luckily I had a handle and other bits lying about so it cost me the £30 for the driver. 

DSC02167.thumb.JPG.43385d620c9992b3773782cd246fcaf5.JPG

DSC02166.JPG

DSC02165.JPG

• Like 8

I love it, a new variant. we will soon have an epidemic of tiny bass speakers.

Interesting that you've found that this is a really revealing speaker, exactly what we've found with the Fane version. It's really great for practice I find, not obtrusive but there is no pretending about your technique so you start to correct it as you go.

Go easy on your speaker, it's basically a hi-fi speaker with a roll surround and a heavier cone. The 'spider' that supports the coil will be more flexible too. All that tunes the speaker lower, traded off for a bit of reduced efficiency. It'll probably have quite good excursion too but it won't be as rugged as the Fane which was designed as a pro PA driver. The 35Hz claim is possibly true as a -10db figure. The 200W is almost certainly a 'peak' figure and inflated by 6db so treat it as a 50W speaker and it should be OK.

Well done, it looks great and I hope you'll have lots of fun with it. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. I hear you on the ruggedness aspect. The intention is to use it for home practice and an acoustic group I'm in. In the acoustic group the designated bass player has one of those acoustic basses that has a pleasant but quiet tone, so need to just get enough level to match my heavy handed six-string shenanigans. 

There is only one downside, I find myself perusing speaker specs and considering more builds. A similar 2x6.5 or 2x8 could be fun . . .

• Like 2