Why become a member? ×

What cab should I use?

rogo

hi, I’ve always wanted to play my lovely trace Elliot gp7 300W combo through a cab as I’m pretty sure it’s got a speaker output jack (please tell me if I’m wrong), but as I’m a bit of a novice I’m not sure what cab I should be using. A trace Elliot cab is the obvious choice but it’s quite difficult to find information about them and eBay listings are vague at best. Any advice on what cab I should look for?

cheers 

What exactly do you want to do?

Use the external cab instead of the built-in speaker? If so why?

Use the combo with an additional cab? In which case you need a cab with the same size and number (and ideally type) of speakers as in the combo for the best results.

However, you'll need to look on the back of your actual amp as there are several different versions of the GP7 combo and by looking at photos available not all of them have additional speaker outputs. If they do the impedance information for the extension cab should be marked next to the socket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

What exactly do you want to do?

Use the external cab instead of the built-in speaker? If so why?

Use the combo with an additional cab? In which case you need a cab with the same size and number (and ideally type) of speakers as in the combo for the best results.

However, you'll need to look on the back of your actual amp as there are several different versions of the GP7 combo and by looking at photos available not all of them have additional speaker outputs. If they do the impedance information for the extension cab should be marked next to the socket.

yes sorry I should’ve made it more clear, I want to run my combo through an additional cab, I’ll have a look on the back

thanks

13 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

I believe that all Trace amps delivered their maximum power into 4Ω. Usually a combo will house a driver of an impedance to allow the amp to give it's max.

The OP needs to check their particular combo. Not all of them have a spare speaker socket for an extension cab.

• Like 1