Why become a member? ×

3 instrument solution needed - Hx Stomp?

Mook

Mornin all. I'm just looking for a way to have a bass - guitar and Ableton running through a switchable unit. The bass and guitar inputs would need to have effects and can simulation. The Ableton input would need to be always on. So I could have Ableton running and switch between guitar and bass without having to plug in and out the guitar lead. I've been looking at the hx stomp and seems like that would do the job. Just looking at the Pod Go as well but doesn't seem to have the right connectivity. I could do it all through ableton but would like to avoid playing bass and guitar live through the laptop due to latency issues. Do you think the Stomp is the only solution to this or does anyone have any other ideas. Hope this all makes sense. Cheers

Edited by Mook

• Mook changed the title to 3 instrument solution needed - Hx Stomp?

I'm struggling to see why you would want to run ableton through the same channel instead of a dedicated tracks channel. The HX stomp can do it but it's not really designed for having 2 separate instruments with separate signal paths so would need some janky routing.

• Like 1

Definitely want to avoid the janky routing. I was thinking of using it as my sole audio interface rather than getting a separate one just for Ableton. Maybe it doesn't work as a one box solution as I thought. Maybe I'm better off getting the Pod Go and using the extra cash to get a separate interface for Ableton 

Ok so I've thought about this quite a lot because I regret poo-pooing your idea, especially because in real life I've become known as the guy that can do anything with a hx stomp. 

I have a couple kind of conditions for a hx stomp being a good fit for you. 1. Do you plan on running to a mixing desk? In which case you need all 3 things to be mixed separately.

2. Do you want stereo tracks or a click track? Either of these would require a separate audio interface for its outputs.

Also, before going for the pod go, do you want to have significant bass effects chains? The pod go is perfectly fine for simple bass effects but not appropriate for more full on effects.

If you meet all of these then I think the hx stomp could be an effective setup for you, though I would always recommend saving up for an interface in addition to the stomp because they will always do that job best, even when it's a cheap focusrite (I use a 4i4 live and recording).

But as I said, the routing and set up wont be easy at all so if you do decide to go this route I would say only do it while sending me a PM (or if you have a helix nerd friend in real life) so we can talk more about your setup and I can guide you through the routing. It will be a bit janky but I'm pretty confident I could help you to understand it enough that it wouldn't be a problem, and going the cheaper option is always going to be a bit jank than just buying all the relevant gear and that's generally ok.

On 24/06/2022 at 10:08, Mook said:

I was thinking of using it as my sole audio interface rather than getting a separate one just for Ableton.

On 24/06/2022 at 08:28, Mook said:

Mornin all. I'm just looking for a way to have a bass - guitar and Ableton running through a switchable unit. The bass and guitar inputs would need to have effects and can simulation. The Ableton input would need to be always on. So I could have Ableton running and switch between guitar and bass without having to plug in and out the guitar lead. I've been looking at the hx stomp and seems like that would do the job. Just looking at the Pod Go as well but doesn't seem to have the right connectivity. I could do it all through ableton but would like to avoid playing bass and guitar live through the laptop due to latency issues. Do you think the Stomp is the only solution to this or does anyone have any other ideas. Hope this all makes sense. Cheers

sooo instrument in the instrument in mono  (Left and right for two instruments?) and then and then laptop stereo blend in via effects loop? 
An AB switcher before the stomp for the guitar and bass might be easier, just for my brain more than anything 

Hey guys thanks for giving a stinky poo about my small problem. It's really appreciated. I didn't really think about it from a mixing perspective and certainly the Ableton output would need to be on a separate channel than the guitar/bass. I would get away with the guitar and bass being sent to the same channel as I would only be playing one or the other. I'd love to have a split into ableton so I could run the guitar through the Looper effect as well but I'll deal with that further down the road. I would like to have the option to run a click as well so think I will definitely need to have a separate 4x4 interface. I think looking at it, the A/B switch into the stomp and out to desk on one channel and then Ableton out through another interface into a separate channel would work the best.