Why become a member? ×

Pickup advice from people who know things about stuff

NicoMcJ

Morning all!

Ive got a Ibanez with Nordstrand Big Splits in it and, frankly, I love the sound.  I use it in passive mode with the normal tone knob and only ever engage the active preamp when I want a mid boost, so it’s definitely the pickups rather than anything else.

Essentially, I want make my Jazz basses sound more like this.  I know it won’t be exactly the same but I’m after something in the same ball park.

Ive included the description and “tone chart” from the Nordstrand website below.

Options I’ve considered are:

-Duncan Apollo Jazz set

-Dimarzio Ultra Jazz or Model J

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Has anyone got any real world, first hand experience of the ultimate JvsP crossover????

A6FAF0E4-793B-415D-BA91-BFDA304DA895.jpeg

3DE57C6D-E6E9-44DD-9F56-403C6BACCB1A.png

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Don’t mess about, get the J routed for Big Splits and be done with it. I had Big Singles in my old Ibby and loved the tone.

Reckon that’s the way forward? They are pretty awesome.

24 minutes ago, NicoMcJ said:

Reckon that’s the way forward? They are pretty awesome.

If you really like them, why not. The only reason not to would be to have a different sound for variety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

If you really like them, why not. The only reason not to would be to have a different sound for variety.

I guess I was just looking for an easier option than getting the router out. There must be a halfway house between P and J in a J size pickup.

Surely???!!

There are split coil pickups in a J housing available, the Seymour Duncan Apollos for instance (I’m sure most p/up prestige manufacturers probably do one, Nordy included), but whether they’ll sound like your Big Splits or not, I couldn’t say.