Why become a member? ×

Power Amp

davegriffiths91

Hi all.

I am increasingly doing more originals gigs lately where we are equipment sharing or using house cabs. This means I need a head as I have previously been using an FRFR speaker with a Helix. However I just want a power amp to let the helix do the talking.

Does anybody have any experience with this

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm

It seems to answer all my needs but I just want a second opinion really, or other inexpensive options!

Cheers.

Do you need to use the shared backline / cabs to get yourself heard, or are they just there for personal monitoring? If the latter, I would consider a powered wedge to place in front of you as a personal bass monitor, if there's usually enough room and time to set it up. You can use the same power source as for the Helix (assuming you're using the pedal version and not the 19" one, and that you're using a power strip on stage). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Do you need to use the shared backline / cabs to get yourself heard, or are they just there for personal monitoring? If the latter, I would consider a powered wedge to place in front of you as a personal bass monitor, if there's usually enough room and time to set it up. You can use the same power source as for the Helix (assuming you're using the pedal version and not the 19" one, and that you're using a power strip on stage). 

I think its a mixture of both in some cases and for ease of change overs on the line-ups etc when it's 15 minutes or sometimes less.

1 hour ago, davegriffiths91 said:

I think its a mixture of both in some cases and for ease of change overs on the line-ups etc when it's 15 minutes or sometimes less.

I encountered a few of those gigs in my time, but after a while I realised it was BS: I can set my amp quicker than my drummer puts his cymbals in place and gets ready. From then on I always offered I'd use my amp, and not a single time I was met with a frown. A powered wedge sounds like a very good idea to me. I used to bring a small MarkBass combo with a stand to tilt it towards me, and set it in front of me or on the side, pointing at me (essentially doing what a wedge would). That way I got out of becoming hostage lending/borrowing equipment.

It might work for you too.