Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass advice

Beedster

I've got a metro MV4 and the feel of the neck has changed massively since I got it about 18 months ago. The finish has softenned up to a very smooth almost shiney feel as if it was partially lacquered. On the back of the headstock where I havent sweated into the neck it feels really rough and sticky in comparison to the rest of the neck. I think they just take a while to break in, if you are used to the feel of a gloss neck then I dont think even with a year or two of playing its going to get like that but they do really change over playing time. I had a couple of stingrays for a few years and never got on with them at all, the neck felt the same after 2 years as it when when new. Sticky and horrible to me.

When I got mine it had been in the gallery for a little while and used for a couple of reviews so I dont think it classed as being completely new, it felt much better than the others in the shop when I got it. It might well be worth perservering with it for a bit to see how it changes and you might well be suprised at how much better it gets.

If you dont get on with it...... A metro PJ4 is the only bass I am really lusting after at the moment!

[quote name='jonno1981' post='475850' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:37 AM']I've got a metro MV4 and the feel of the neck has changed massively since I got it about 18 months ago. The finish has softenned up to a very smooth almost shiney feel as if it was partially lacquered. On the back of the headstock where I havent sweated into the neck it feels really rough and sticky in comparison to the rest of the neck. I think they just take a while to break in, if you are used to the feel of a gloss neck then I dont think even with a year or two of playing its going to get like that but they do really change over playing time. I had a couple of stingrays for a few years and never got on with them at all, the neck felt the same after 2 years as it when when new. Sticky and horrible to me.

When I got mine it had been in the gallery for a little while and used for a couple of reviews so I dont think it classed as being completely new, it felt much better than the others in the shop when I got it. It might well be worth perservering with it for a bit to see how it changes and you might well be suprised at how much better it gets.

If you dont get on with it...... A metro PJ4 is the only bass I am really lusting after at the moment![/quote]

Thanks very much jonno, it's interesting to hear. I guess I have to decide whether I can wait a couple of years, and no amount of playing is going to change the profile :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='476842' date='May 1 2009, 11:29 AM']My PJ4 nick is silky smooth with nice satin finish, I thought that was how they come but I suppose they may go that way when played in a bit I guess.[/quote]

I think mine probably is as well, I just prefer the old Fender style finish. I guess the biggest problem I have is the flat board, but I may simply have to work at it?

[quote name='Telebass' post='461335' date='Apr 13 2009, 05:12 PM']I think, and have for a while now, that it's mainly how you play, not what you play. My personal opinion? You probably passed over 15 perfectly good Precisions in search of something that doesn't, and probably cannot exist. It's in your fingers, mate. If it's not, you're going to be looking a long, long time. Better to be playing your basses than 'tone-hounding'.[/quote]

I'm a bit of a Rick nut. I've probably played a hundred or so, and have owned nine, but they have all been very different. Some have worked ok for me and many haven't. However my '72 is far and away my favourite of them; in fact it's my favourite bass I've ever owned or played. It has a tone I've never found in another. It's perfectly possible there's a P out there that does the job when the others don't.

I know what you mean though, and you're right about the playing bit.

BTW Beedster, I hope it works out......

Edited by 4000