Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster 210 with the wick turned up

lownote

I have noticed before that the big difference with cheap v expensive cabs is the latter (Markbass/Barefaced) still sound great at full bore, whereas cheaper drivers start to give a featureless thud. Thus was my experience with my fairly newly acquired Rootmaster 210s last weekend when forced to play very loud by my very loud band. 

The RM series cabs have very average drivers and the boxes are made to a budget 

I tried the compact ported ABM cabs and they ( larger boxes ) especially the 115 had more welly and authority to the sound. 

The ABM Pro Neo and standard ABM cabs are far better but you’re right get a better cab / driver and they sound good even when pushed 

My SVT212AV sounds better the louder it gets !

Problem is it’s heavy but I can lift it fine and only need one cab 

Edited by BassAdder27

Just now, uk_lefty said:

Am sure that would be the same with most cabs though, push them too hard and they don't like it. Why does the band need to be so loud?

[sigh] No idea, a lot of people ask that.  It's partly because they're all almost deaf septa/octaganarians.

• Haha 1

I had the same experience with my RM210T ( it was an early mark 1 version allegedly rated at 350watts RMS @ 8ohms). Used with an old school Mag200 mosfet amp, the cab severely struggled to cope with the MAG even though it was running at 8 ohms. The cab was vibrating like crazy and the piezo popped - twice. Oddly enough my RM210T sounded quite fantastic at low to medium volumes that you might use in a studio situation but it just didn't cut it with the wick turned up at a gig😐

• Like 1