Why become a member? ×

Steinberger doco from 1983

Kiwi

Just discovered this fascinating set of documentaries about Ned Steinberger expanding Steinberger Sound while I was doing some research for an article on composite necks in the wiki

Part 5 is particularly interesting for how Ned reacts to japanese rip offs of his designs.

Rather than just being 'a different design' from the 80's I see Ned as probably the only other person (other than Leo of course!) to have done anything truly outstanding with the bass since its inception.

I think if hed had some of todays electronics at his diposal as well as the material technology skills he has, his designs would have been the 'watershed' he was hoping for.......

A true inovator IMHO......

"Brianberger"? yikes!
I guess the problem was the visual design of the bass was so distinctive that its visual appeal could be ripped off easily using wood without the expense and time-consumption of graphite moulding.

I read that Ned also designed the Spector NS body shape- which Warwick licensed.

interesting that Rickenbacker manage to shut down production of nearly all Rick copies.
must be a more expensive way of doing things than licensing copies.