Why become a member? ×

EBS Drome CL questie

Faithless

So, the thing is, that I've started to play actively in one pop project, and other one is [probably] incoming very soon, so, for 'pop' stuff I am using my Trace Elliot Commando 15, due to 1x15 speaker, giving a lotta warmth and bottom end, which pop stuff simply [i]needs[/i].. :)

It has 1x15 speaker, 150w, simple 3-band EQ, and I enjoyed it's tone pretty mutch - in gigs, we've been mic'ing it, bass and amp EQ's were flat, and producer was simply obsessed with my tone, buuuut...

Trace weighs 27kg, and, as I quite oftenly have to cope with lugging/carrying it here and there, and, to add more, there's only one handle at the top of the amp, so, in the end, it becomes not comfortable to do all that lugging/carrying stuff..

So, I'm thinking of buying a warm-sounding, able to cut-through in 4-5 piece-band situation, not-that heavy, comfortable (handle issues..), probably 1x15, or 1x12 speaker-in amplifier.. And, as chance would have it, I've spotted new EBS ClassicLine 1x12 amp in my local music shop.. :wub: (omg, is it called GAS???)

It weighs 18kg, has handles from both sides, simple EQ with a few knobs, 150w, built-in Comp/Limiter and all other stuff..
I haven't tried it so far, but I'll do it tomorrow, probably will bring my old Tracie to compare, and, we'll see how it goes.

In the end, I have a few questies for you, chaps..

[b]1.[/b] [url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/dromeCL.htm"]EBS Drome Classic 1x12[/url] - has anyone had any experience with it, so that could comment a bit about their tone and stuff?..

[b]2.[/b] What about the [i]real [/i]wattage of these two amps - EBS and Trace Elliott - they both have 150w 'on paper', but what about that RMS thing - I don't get it at all?.. It's not the problem to me about 'cutting through', as my Ibby is an active beast, but, I just want to know, if there would be a big difference..

[b]3. [/b]This EBS Drome CL, I'm after, in shop [i]oficially [/i]costs about 460 pounds (well, it would be a bit lesser for me, but anyway..) - is this an [i]appropriate [/i]price for that amp?

[b]4. [/b]Don't think, that I'm just [i]dying [/i]for that EBS - no no no, I may be looking at other amps also (something not heavy, one speaker, not more that 150-200watts), but I don't know any other variants yet..
I've spotted some Gallien-Krueger stuff in shop also, but I can't tell exact models yet. Anyway, any suggestions are welcome!

That's it for now,
I'll give my impressions for you to know, when I'll try that EBS,
Waitin' for your opinions, chaps!
Faith... :rolleyes:

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='458327' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:59 PM']So, the thing is, that I've started to play actively in one pop project, and other one is [probably] incoming very soon, so, for 'pop' stuff I am using my Trace Elliot Commando 15, due to 1x15 speaker, giving a lotta warmth and bottom end, which pop stuff simply [i]needs[/i].. :)

It has 1x15 speaker, 150w, simple 3-band EQ, and I enjoyed it's tone pretty mutch - in gigs, we've been mic'ing it, bass and amp EQ's were flat, and producer was simply obsessed with my tone, buuuut...

Trace weighs 27kg, and, as I quite oftenly have to cope with lugging/carrying it here and there, and, to add more, there's only one handle at the top of the amp, so, in the end, it becomes not comfortable to do all that lugging/carrying stuff..

So, I'm thinking of buying a warm-sounding, able to cut-through in 4-5 piece-band situation, not-that heavy, comfortable (handle issues..), probably 1x15, or 1x12 speaker-in amplifier.. And, as chance would have it, I've spotted new EBS ClassicLine 1x12 amp in my local music shop.. :wub: (omg, is it called GAS???)

It weighs 18kg, has handles from both sides, simple EQ with a few knobs, 150w, built-in Comp/Limiter and all other stuff..
I haven't tried it so far, but I'll do it tomorrow, probably will bring my old Tracie to compare, and, we'll see how it goes.

In the end, I have a few questies for you, chaps..

[b]1.[/b] [url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/dromeCL.htm"]EBS Drome Classic 1x12[/url] - has anyone had any experience with it, so that could comment a bit about their tone and stuff?..

[b]2.[/b] What about the [i]real [/i]wattage of these two amps - EBS and Trace Elliott - they both have 150w 'on paper', but what about that RMS thing - I don't get it at all?.. It's not the problem to me about 'cutting through', as my Ibby is an active beast, but, I just want to know, if there would be a big difference..

[b]3. [/b]This EBS Drome CL, I'm after, in shop [i]oficially [/i]costs about 460 pounds (well, it would be a bit lesser for me, but anyway..) - is this an [i]appropriate [/i]price for that amp?

[b]4. [/b]Don't think, that I'm just [i]dying [/i]for that EBS - no no no, I may be looking at other amps also (something not heavy, one speaker, not more that 150-200watts), but I don't know any other variants yet..
I've spotted some Gallien-Krueger stuff in shop also, but I can't tell exact models yet. Anyway, any suggestions are welcome!

That's it for now,
I'll give my impressions for you to know, when I'll try that EBS,
Waitin' for your opinions, chaps!
Faith... :rolleyes:[/quote]

1. the classic range has smoother less hifi sound to the rest of the EBS range. Having said that, it is a veryversatile amp that will give you a full set of usable tones from your rock through to your poppy, funk and slap stuff. I would have no problems using this combo for gigs... especially as it appears that you are using it more monitoring purposes and then using the PA for volume.

2. EBS is always known for having "loud" watts. It's not so much the power that they put out, they are just very sensitive and very efficient and the way they are eqed means that they are perceived to be louder than a lot of amps that have a similar output. I'd be surprised if you didn't think the EBS was louder than the Trace. When comparing outputs of amps, looks at the RMS values as opposed to the peak values. The RMS value, crudely speaking, is the maximum sustainable output from the amp... whereas the peak values are just that, the output level that can be sustained for short periods of time - like a pop when slapping etc.

3. Seems like a fair price to me for an EBS combo.

Oh, about that EBS thing.. :)

I've tried it yesterday in a shop - have to say, it's sounds pretty decently, though, his flat tone isn't as mellow sounding as my old Trace, maybe, but, there's nothing you can't do with a bit of EQ, right? :rolleyes:

The only thing that I disliked, was that handle [i]under [/i]the amp - I thought it would lift amp's front quite a bit higher, but, that's ok anyway..