Why become a member? ×

Paint or Fiebings ?

fleabag

I'm looking at getting a gloss black finish on some wood, using a clear gloss poly varnish on top to achieve this.

Options are matt black paint or fiebings black dye, and then poly varnish.  Paint i assume will need a primer, so thats another stage , 3 in all with paint   Fiebings will go straight onto wood, and then poly over that.

I dont know which will give the better uniform finish for the poly.  Fiebings looks like it will definately be the easiest to apply, but i done know how uniform / patchy this stuff is. Heard good things about Fiebings.

Not as messy as spraying, either.

Which to choose ...anyone with experience ??

The other question is does polyurethane varnish need flatting between coats ?  I assume yes, but not sure which grades of wet n dry are needed

Edited by fleabag

I refinished a Ibanez with leather dye, Crimson lacquer, then spray clear coats.

The leather dye was fine, just make sure you've got all the old finish off.  The leather dye may raise the grain, so just lightly sand it back and reapply.

I wasn't happy with the Crimson lacquer at all; I tried applying with wadded kitchen paper (as recommended), then brushed it on.  After several coats, I knocked it back with wet and dry (1200+) and it came off very easily, so I had patches where I was back to bare wood. 

I reapplied the leather dye and just bought some clear coat rattle cans from Amazon.  These went on easily...couple of coats, light sand with wet and dry, repeat.  And repeat.

It just got to the stage where I was losing the will to live, so decided to just park things at this point.  It looks fine, satinesque, but it's never going to be a showroom finish.  Fine for me though.

20220122_224639.thumb.jpg.edbd5ca90b039c6deeb00ad1e4e8d262.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just seen this but it might help out someone else searching for info. 

Another easy alternative for colouring bare wood is calligraphy ink. Loads of colours, cheap, easy to apply and clean up. Just wipe on with a fine sponge. Being water based you can wet and rework if it's slightly patchy, even take it off to a degree if it's too dark. 

Oil, varnish or lacquer will go straight on top without affecting it. 

This a bass that I've just done, it was all natural wood previously. 

ls3FYyJ.jpeg

• Like 2