Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 200T head problem

alembic1989

I've owned this amp from new and love the tone.

However some years ago it developed  a fault...the volume slowly " fizzled out" after playing for 20 mins or so...and the faded in and out of it's own accord.

I took it to Surrey Amps, and they did a very thorough job servicing/ repairing it.

The fault came back..they very graciously had another look, and could find nothing wrong with it.

I hadn't  used it for a while..plugged in again..and now...nothing.

Curiously..in the past, the amo would sometimes leap into action, if I hit the strings hard with the palm of my hand.

Does anyone know an Ampeg expert..?

I'm out of touch with " new" mini amps..I tried a mini mark bass amp..and didn't like the tone.

Is it time for a new amp?

Are these old transistor amps inherently unreliable?

Any suggestions welcome.

If any of you are amp repair experts..fancy buying a wounded Ampeg?

HELP!

Sounds heat related? Dry joint developing when amp warms up...

The 'chopstick method' when the fault occurs could help to localise the fault. (tap/poke the PCB and components, connectors etc. with an insulated chopstick to find dry joints).

Could be a transistor - they have been known to go weirdly faulty after many years.

Have them look at it again, if the actual cause is not correctly identified, no repair or miraculous guessing is going to fix the problem. 

No, transistorized (and solid state amps in general) are no less reliable (and IMO much more reliable) than most tube amps.

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 1

There are some basic things that you can try. Put a patch cable or short instrument cable between the effect send and return. See what happens. Test the power amp by plugging a preamp into the line in jack. If you don’t have a pre-amp, try plugging your bass directly into the line-in jack. It may or may not work depending on the signal strength from the bass.

This is for your tech in case they don’t have a schematic. As a start…. There are some minor resistor changes in the later revisions listed in a table. There are also test point voltage references to read when examining the amp. The amp has a few interconnect cables. These should all be inspected and reseated. Clean if oxidized. The jack shunts should all be cleaned with Deoxit.

https://ampeg.com/support/files/Schematics/S Series/SVT-200T, 350T/SVT200T_350T Schematics_PL.pdf

• Like 1