Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass product: Exponent 500

fretmeister

I'm increasingly tempted to replace my whole rig with this, the more I read about it.

I don't have experience with midi controllers, so I don't know how easy it would be to hook it all up, but the manual suggests, to my inexpert eye, both that darkglass will be releasing a midi controller, and you will be able to map bypass switches to all of your modelled effects in your signal chain.

Once the app has more stuff to chose from, and that functionality is available, this has potential to be fantastic.

You can literally build 5 different virtual rigs for different basses, different bands, etc, which I know you can do with other multi effects/modelling units, but this is also your amp, and is controllable from your phone on the go...

But I think I'll wait and see how things develop.

As I will be looking to replace my rig in the near future I was interested in this, as I liked the look of their Microtubes amp (I've got friends who highly recommend them) and this seemed pitched as something more versatile. 

I do like the idea, but I worry that it's just a lot to go wrong - particularly with a first iteration. I'm also not sold on it being reliant on a phone app... 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve been putting a lot of time in with this.

The software did take some time , but I managed to get comfy with it surprisingly quickly. The whole point of this is the ability to create custom presets , and store them so you can quickly retrieve them. And I’ve succeeded! There are twenty two available effects and pedals in the software Suite. I wish there was tremolo , but aside from that I’m quite happy with the selection . I’m looking forward to the next software update to see what might be included next. It’s pretty straightforward building a preset , and you can only combine eight. You can store any number , and load five at a time for immediate access. Those are the rules/limitations. They work for me.
I don’t mind using a tablet to program the amp.

It sounds real good , but it’s up to you to program the presets. It does come preloaded with a selection that showcases much of what’s available. It’s simple to return any effect to the “factory” setting. I enjoy spinning the knobs and seeing exactly what everything does. You can turn every effect you’ve loaded off to dial something in and then individually check how everything works together. You can re-assign the functions of five knobs on the front of the amp to suit your preset. You can easily edit and save any changes at a future point. 
I do wish there was a forum for Exponent users to exchange tips and tricks , I haven’t found anything specific yet.  
I’m using this with a Phil Jones C2 cabinet at a reasonably low volume , although last week did have it plugged into an Ampeg 210AV. I’m getting nice tone.

I like this amp.

You are given incredible control to craft and shape whatever tone you’re looking for.
It’s a complete chameleon.

4FC51963-28E3-44B1-90C9-8C9FCAEF892E.jpeg

This is highly interesting. I have a few questions:

• I have not seen any FX along the lines of an Octave, which to me seems to be one of the essentials. Is this right? Have Darkglass added such in an software update? Or could a combination of other included FX be combined to get close?
  • As I have a Behringer MIDI foot board, I wonder if that could control the Exponent? Anyone any experiences?
  • Any news on Darkglass foot controller - with the unique 7-pin connector?

Thanks

I’ve been hoping for a tremolo pedal sim , they’ve added more options to the Suite since it became available , but there’s still some effects it would be nice to access. I simply hope maybe with the next update … no idea when that might happen. An octave pedal would also be nice!
Not aware of any news on the controller they’ve hinted at. 

Heck , I was willing to buy a hoodie , but those are sold out at the moment too.

It would be nice to find a Darkglass forum , haven’t really found one yet. 

I hope you have the fun I’ve been having. The software takes some time to get , but it doesn’t take too long. I enjoy constructing presets , and I’ve noticed they seem to be a little more subtle as I become more familiar with the process. The amp carries a good learning curve.

Well it arrived a day earlier. Only had a little time to play through it. Got the app on my iPhone talking to it. Plugged it into my home practice set up: Ashdown Mini15 cab. Though my very small room is not the place to open the master volume. Must say I like the red lights when adjusting the input gain. 

It’s a lot of fun , it takes a little time to get comfy with the Suite , but it quickly falls into place. I’m still discovering what various things can do , it’s easy to edit and save presets. So you can continue to fine tune anything you construct at a later time.

I hope you find the fun I’ve been having with it! 
Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Used it in a gig last weekend. DI'd into the FoH as well as into my Barefaced Midget. I had to slightly drop the Master Vol and the FoH fader. Good results. As a cover band I find it useful to have the various presets as we cover a variety of genres, so the chorus was good using the factory preset, using the Tube preset mostly and also I had added a gritty preset using the VMT rather than the B3K. 

Now I am trying to get sorted with a MIDI pedalboard to change presets, bypass the Chorus, switch the Mute on and off, etc. I have the Hotone Ampero Controller - 4 footswitches, MIDI, again configured with an app and Bluetooth and small, good construction. Just wishing that Darkglass would have more MIDI control options and some tutorials!

I’m not using any of the factory presets , although they give you a fair sampling of what’s in the Suite. I just dove in and eventually became familiar with where the buttons are, and can make a preset fairly quickly. And it’s fun to spend some time with individual pedals to get a feel for what they do. Spin every knob. Bounce between the reverb units to get a feel for them. 
I miss having a tremolo, I wish they’d include that in the next update. Whenever that might be.

It’s faster to switch between effects on an actual pedalboard. But it’s nice being able to load five presets and have any number stored for easy access. And being able to change the knob functions to suit a preset is genius.

Darkglass have promised a controller that will use that 7 pin connector. No idea when that might be. 

On 15/11/2022 at 12:48, vsmith1 said:

Used it in a gig last weekend. DI'd into the FoH as well as into my Barefaced Midget. I had to slightly drop the Master Vol and the FoH fader. Good results. As a cover band I find it useful to have the various presets as we cover a variety of genres, so the chorus was good using the factory preset, using the Tube preset mostly and also I had added a gritty preset using the VMT rather than the B3K. 

Now I am trying to get sorted with a MIDI pedalboard to change presets, bypass the Chorus, switch the Mute on and off, etc. I have the Hotone Ampero Controller - 4 footswitches, MIDI, again configured with an app and Bluetooth and small, good construction. Just wishing that Darkglass would have more MIDI control options and some tutorials!

Further developments: Hotline Ampere Controller connected with MIDI cable to Exponent. Set up the four footswitches in two banks: my main three presets are on switches 1,2,3 on bank 0 and switch 4 is to bypass the main FX in each preset; bank 1: is the same except switch 1,2 are presets 4 and 5 and again switch 4 is to bypass the main FX. For the bypass, I set it on the controller as Toggle mode with A as a value of 0 and B as a value of 127. And on the Exponent I made dial E the virtual pedal switch. Unfortunately, the Mute MIDI CC control does not operate as a toggle - which strikes me as very poor. So cannot use the Mute CC control to turn the Exponent to mute and press again to un-mute.