Why become a member? ×

My Current Lineup - Fretless Goodness

Linus27

This is my current lineup.

The top one is a Fender Precision FSR 70's reissue with a custom Shuker maple fretless neck finished in high gloss. It's a replica of the one Sting used to play and is fantastic. For a Mexican Fender it is fabulous although the only thing left on it that's Mexican is the body and I've got no idea what wood they use. Pickups are US Vintage Fender, the pots have been changed and the neck is made by Shuker. Currently strung with Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats.

In the middle is my 1986/87 ESP Series Jazz which was made at the Japanese Fender factory and is based on a 1966 Fender Jazz. It's basically a Japanese Fender Jazz and even the components are interchangeable. Even the original neck has exactly the same headstock and could of ended up with a Fender, ESP or Tokai decal on the headstock. This bass has seen all the action over 35 years from playing thousands of gigs, recording multiple albums, live radio and TV shows so it's pretty beaten up and sentimental. Its fitted with a set of Bartolini pickups which give it a smooth but dark sound and works great for fretless. Currently strung with either Rotosound or Elite Stadium rounds. The fretless neck is a custom one made by Shuker but I do have the original neck which is the nicest neck I have ever played so I may return it to it's original fretted status. It's high gloss and theres just something about Japanese basses that makes them very special.

The bottom bass is my 2013 3EQ Ernie Ball Fretless Stingray which is new to me but seems to be working out. I'm not a fan of active basses but have always loved the Stingray and Pino is a big influence on me so I thought I'd give it a go. The neck is Pau Ferro which sounds quite nice, a little bit hard but does have a fantastic grain to it. I've done 2 gigs with it so far and I'm quite happy, its certainly comfortable to play,  especially the neck but tonally its not as expressive as the Jazz. I think it's a keeper though. Currently strung with Rotosound rounds.

I'd like to perhaps get one more bass but I'm not in any rush. I'm thinking either a Japanese Fender Jazz, either the Traditional 60's Fretless or a standard one and then get Shuker to make me a custom high gloss fretless neck. This could then replace my current fretless Jazz and I can return that to being fretted. I also like the look of the Ibanez SRH500F and as that has a Piezo pickup, it might be a nice alternative to some fretless tones.

image0.thumb.jpeg.7384027d45f2bfa720ae7a8bf363a51f.jpeg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 7

• Linus27 changed the title to My Current Lineup - Fretless Goodness