Why become a member? ×

Fender Made in Japan Traditional 60s Jazz Bass Fretless

Linus27

Has anyone ever seen of have one of the Fender Made in Japan Traditional 60s Fretless Jazz Basses that came out a few years back? I have never seen one available or for sale and it something I would love to get my hands on.

https://en.audiofanzine.com/electric-fretless-bass/fender/made-in-japan-traditional-60-s-jazz-bass-fretless/

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2019/01/26/fender-unveils-limited-edition-made-in-japan-basses/

fender-made-in-japan-traditional-60s-jazz-bass-fretless-275858.thumb.jpg.1d6bd6e9e545257d469564b7c8cfe74a.jpg

61PqPLGqm7L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.88c562027e6261af498ce283afec18a5.jpg

Edited by Linus27

6 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Yep I’ve got one. I picked it up off eBay last year. It was for sale for a while and kept getting re-listed so temptation got the better of me and I pulled the trigger. I’m glad I did, it’s my go-to fretless now.

860E6221-B248-4480-AAF5-C5F6F113E512.jpeg

Oh wow, that is gorgeous, you lucky thing, looks stunning. How does it play and sound, typical Jazz neck and tone?

If you ever decide to part with it then please let me know :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks, it’s great. As you can imagine with a Japanese Fender, the construction and build quality is excellent. The the neck feels slim and everything you’d expect of a Jazz neck. I’ve got Dunlop super-bright round wounds on it and it’s got plenty of mwah, and sounds lovely.

The only thing I didn’t like with it as stock was that the tone control was pretty ineffective and there was no noticeable roll-off of the highs. So, I replaced the wiring loom with a KiOgon VVT with series/parallel push-pull tone pot. Plenty of tonal options.

I’m not thinking of parting with it at the moment but you never know.  If I do decide to move it on I’ll certainly let you know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

Thanks, it’s great. As you can imagine with a Japanese Fender, the construction and build quality is excellent. The the neck feels slim and everything you’d expect of a Jazz neck. I’ve got Dunlop super-bright round wounds on it and it’s got plenty of mwah, and sounds lovely.

The only thing I didn’t like with it as stock was that the tone control was pretty ineffective and there was no noticeable roll-off of the highs. So, I replaced the wiring loom with a KiOgon VVT with series/parallel push-pull tone pot. Plenty of tonal options.

I’m not thinking of parting with it at the moment but you never know.  If I do decide to move it on I’ll certainly let you know. 

Thank you for the info, sounds lovely and I know what you mean about Japanese build quality. My favourite basses are Japanese, especially Fender's, just something different about them that makes them so much better. I adore my fretless Japanese Jazz, its 35 years old but nothing has come close to it yet.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it, I would definitely be interested if you decide to part with it so please do let me know. I'm not totally convinced my fretless Stingray is for me so looking at other options. Thanks again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

Never seen those before, very nice. The sunburst appears to be unlined and the black lined, was that the way they always come or were either neck available on both colours?

The sunburst is lined but they’re very subtle. 

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Never seen those before, very nice. The sunburst appears to be unlined and the black lined, was that the way they always come or were either neck available on both colours?

I hadn't either which is why I asked the original question. I wondered if they were Japan or US only as they had so past me by :( I'd never even seen them advertised either on any music shops or discussed much. I love how they have kept the dots on the face of the fretboard to make it look like the bass was once fretted but has been converted to a fretless.

• 5 months later...

So a bit of an update but after stalking all the places that sell basses for the last 6 months, this little beauty turned up for sale and not only was it local to me, it was also a fellow Basschatter 😃 Just picked it up and its gorgeous and the exact bass I was after. So thank you @JamesTun for a gorgeous bass and great to meet you and chat bass. I think we could of carried on chatting for a few more hours 😆

image0(6).thumb.jpeg.f4ba504b62890f4b88209b830c495179.jpeg

With the whole family as well,

image1(5).thumb.jpeg.b78f66fe4b722e76393c954a5000bbe2.jpeg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, zapp said:

Loving the fretless Ray @Linus27

Thank you very much :)  I'm very lucky to have a beautiful and different selection of fretless basses. Two Jazzes, one with an Ebony board and one with a rosewood board, a Precision with a high gloss Maple board and the Stingray with a Pau Ferro board. All very different in playability and tone. Kind of thinking what's left, maybe one of the Ibanez fretless basses with the Panga Panga board.

Edited by Linus27