Why become a member? ×

Stingray scratchplate fix

Fishman

Fed up with MM's lack of precision* and difficulty finding a third-party scratch plate that actually fits I decided to use my day-job skills as a designer and create a new template that I'll get laser-cut in acrylic

This is a scan of a my genuine 2004 Stingray plate that was modified ages ago at Charlie Chandler's for the J pickup (which is slightly off-centre). Note how the screw holes are all over the place, although the MM pickup was perfectly centred horizontally.

I have two other Stingray builds in progress which will also use this template (one MM+P, the other P+J), although I might reposition the screw holes, or maybe not as it doesn't really show when it's on the bass.

Also, the curves of the original plate are quite odd, almost hand-cut – this template uses only one vector point at each side and one at the bottom for a perfect bezier curve.

* As for the strings not lining up over the pole pieces, don't get me started – I know they've fixed that now but it bugged me for years so I always went with closed covers

MMpickguard.jpg

Edited by Fishman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've tweaked the outline slightly and will print another paper copy this week to test the fit – then I should be ready to source a laser-printed acrylic copy – just enquiring about bevelling the edges

I'm going continue this thread in my Stingray build thread over on Build Diaries:

• 1 year later...