Why become a member? ×

New rig recommendation

Ander87

1 minute ago, Mudpup said:

If you're using the PA then a Big Baby 2 will be perfect. I use 2 of them for most gigs but its mainly for headroom on the amps and have happily done medium sized pub gigs with a Quilter BB800 with a single cab. Easy to cart about, useable at home and sounds fab - go for it.....

Thank you my friend - I've been fighting the concept of 2 cabs but hey, I may just have to in the future... It does seem that for most medium sized pub gigs we have (50 to 200 folk) I should be grand with a single BB2...

... And, when the bigger gig comes, I'll consider a 2nd BB2 to essentially make a Big Twin II both tweetered...

It just came to me that for a regular sized SUV, I can probably fit 2 BB2's easier than a single BT2 forcing tilting angling or potentially having to bring down seats etc...

Also, well, the BB2 is on a silver cloth grill which I fancy more 🥰 although I should know that's not the biggest factor!!!

I'll keep you guys posted...!

Ander.

1 hour ago, Ander87 said:

... And, when the bigger gig comes, I'll consider a 2nd BB2 to essentially make a Big Twin II both tweetered...

That's the way to look at it. A modular setup is easier to cart about. Although the 2 individual cabs are a touch bigger than a single Big Twin as you have the extra waveguide. 

Or pick up a Super Compact (they pop up in the classifieds fairly regularly) instead of a 2nd Big Baby and you pretty much have a modular Big Twin.... 

And regarding your dispersion question - you shouldn't have an issue at all. Even a single cab seems to be able to fill a room. I went through a phase a few years ago of trying some alternatives to my BB2's (a pair of Bergantino 12" cabs, a pair of Berg 10" and also a Berg CN212) and none of them could be heard as well across the stage as the BF ones. All the band guys noticed the difference. The build quality was better on the Bergs but the sound didn't suit what i was doing as much as my regular stuff does.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I use my Vanderklay rig for theatre and festival gigs mainly,did look at the BF stuff but build quality is no where near the Vanderklay gear,Saying that the GR cabs I recently got just seem to light to be true if you know wot I mean and build quality seems not as good as the Vanderklay stuff but then I think it’s down to the weight issue which I’m not comp,wining about,tonight I’m in studio and I’ll take my 1-12 gR lightweight cab 409 watts,plenty power

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

That's the way to look at it. A modular setup is easier to cart about. Although the 2 individual cabs are a touch bigger than a single Big Twin as you have the extra waveguide. 

Thank you for this Mudpup!

Yep, I think my heart wanted/wants the Big Twin II but the brain wants the Big Baby II. I was very averse to going modular but like I've read in posts about this conversation, it is good to turn up to a knife fight with a gun (BB2), but not a bazooka (BT2)...!

And when the time is right I can add another one for large gigs and outdoor festivals...

... venues don't always let me use my DG210N especially for short sets as opener etc, it'd fosters me off massively to not be able to use the BT2 just because it's bigger yet - throwing more money at it and depending on house gear... Nobody would go against me using the BB2 being a tad smaller than the Darkglass.

I was also concerned about projection - whilst I'm sure the BT2 has better projection, I need to remember the BB2 is just 5cm/2" shorter than my Darkglass 2x10 and I can hear myself okay with it at 250w, I should not have a problem with my Eich's 600w on a BB2.

Also the Eich makes more sense if I go modular... 1 cab and 600w for most gigs, big big ones 2 cabs and 900w...

Edited by Ander87

14 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I never get where people are coming from when they say they need more for 'bigger gigs'.

If you are covering the bar room 200 size without PA and drummer is giving it what for then you are all set for the big stage as well. If anything you will have to turn down while the PA picks up the weight.

You do have a very, very fair point, to which I say...:

1. I think we, as a whole and generally, are aprehensive to have a ´big gig´where our gear doesn´t perform

2. We also hope that we will have huge gigs were we have a full stack of sonic blast behind us

3. Whilst the two first points are more ´just love for gear´, the realistic and valid point is that often, the bigger the concert:

• The stage is bigger, I use my rig as reference to hear / monitor myself, and rely on it more than the actual PA/monitor
  • More dispersion and more factors will affect your tone... You´ll have the PA and whatnot but I´d always want to hear myself properly if that makes sense? ie. if open air the sound will be travelling in more directions and so on...

I think so many times our fears and ´needing bigger gear´ can well be unfunded, but I wouldn´t totally discard it. Your rig is often very good monitor for your bandmates too if you´re short of monitors around the stage too...

I do think just the BB2 will do me good for all I am realistically planning to do with it, but I´ll admit I´m teased to have 2x BB2´s same as I haven´t deleted fully from my mind the thought of the BT2...

Ander.

... Well! I just got home with my Barefaced Big Baby 2 gen 3.

The cover is amazing and the amp is built beautifully.

Plugged it in and damn.... it does sound so. much. 

Love it.

I will share more detail but in combination with the Eich is all I could've wanted I think!

Well.... that's one out of two isn't it?

Ander.