Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on my favourite gear from the year 2021

DGBass

It's not been a great time for active gigging in the past year but I've still managed to experience a varied amount of interesting gear that has either passed through my hands or has stayed with me in the 'fold'. I haven't changed any basses this year and stayed with my '98 P-bass and my 2012 Jazz( I did install Ironstone jazz pickups in the 2012 Jazz this year to great effect). Gear wise, there were a few interesting old school developments. First was a very old Ashdown EB150-15 combo I bought for £75 early in the year. It really sounded fantastic and did a fair turn at rehearsals. It was fully original, lightweight, punchy and had that classic Ashdown EB tone. Next up and something I had searched out for a while was an Ashdown MAG400 head. I bought this for £50 and it needed a full rebuild. It's a MAG with ABM power and restored to its original glory, is a complete beast. It's like a classic MAG on steroids.

It's a keeper and has been used to great effect with a classic MAG210T slim I have. Last but not least this year, I bought an old MK1 Trace Elliot Boxer 65 for £40 that was stored in an attic for the last 15 years. It needed a good service but cleaned up well and really does sound quite fantastic for a a 26 year old 1x12 combo and is now my go to home jam box. I also flirted with a modern Ashdown Studio 12 combo which had a pretty fab pre-amp and sounded great but I couldn't seem to find the rated 100 watts in it anywhere and sold it on. No new effects or gadgets have come my way but worth a mention is my continued use of Ernie Ball slinky flat wound cobalts which I now have on all my basses.

So what was your new gear highlights and lowlights for this 2021 lockdown year?  

PS: I know it shouldn't be mentioned here on these hallowed bass halls, but guitar wise, I also came across a rather wonderful old school guitar combo that blew me away. Yes it was a Trace Elliot! 

Screenshot 2021-12-18 at 21.36.12.png

Screenshot 2021-12-18 at 21.38.05.png

Screenshot 2021-12-18 at 21.37.37.png

Screenshot 2021-12-18 at 21.38.31.png

• Like 2

Well I bought another Ashdown ABM600 this year, plus two ABM PRO NEO 210 cabs. I’d sold all my ABM gear last year intending on sticking with the Ashdown RM range as it was lighter and smaller, but when they introduced the PRO NEOs which are around the same weight & size as the RMs it was only a matter of time before I had an ABM rig again. I still use the RM500 for rehearsals and it’s a great amp but my heart is with the ABM600.

• Like 1

Always loved the look of the TE Tramp!

Think a JMJ Mustang is all I’ve bought this year (pics elsewhere on the shortie thread), but it’s one of the best bits of gear I’ve bought in 30 odd years so a definite highlight.

I’ve sold two amps and a cab this year, so mostly a year of rationalising, given we’re coming up on 2 years since I last gigged. THAT’S my biggest gear letdown! 🤣

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dangoose said:

First was a very old Ashdown EB150-15 combo I bought for £75 early in the year. It really sounded fantastic and did a fair turn at rehearsals. It was fully original, lightweight, punchy and had that classic Ashdown EB tone.

Screenshot 2021-12-18 at 21.36.12.png

I used to own an Ashdown EB150-15 for a few years. I also bought it secondhand, about 15 years ago. It had a great basic sound, with all the EQ knobs at 12 noon.

I've owned a lot of different amps since then but still really like that Ashdown sound.

• Like 1