Why become a member? ×

Selling a bass to Hong Kong in 2021/22... facts.

warwickhunt

I potentially have a buyer for a bass that I have for sale on Facebook (not a BC advert or buyer).  The guy is French but has residency in Hong Kong; I've pretty much ascertained he'd have to have been setting up the most elaborate scam for years if he was trying to con me, as he has pictures and history on FB going back years of France/Hong Kong and him being a bassist; so I'm not too worried about that.  Added to which he is paying me via BACS before the bass is shipped and he is booking the courier with insurance etc and covering all costs.  

My 'problem' is that he would prefer the bass be sent to his HK address as he says there are no tax implications (£1800 bass), whereas France would hit him with 20-25% and he'd still have to pay to fly the bass with him from France to HK when he travels back there.  I just can't find the answer to the taxation of 'private' goods sent to HK!  Loads on HMRC re businesses but nada on private.  If I understand it correctly, taxation etc should all be handled and declared during the booking of the courier.  What I fear is that though he appears to be absolutely straight, I might get hit with the tax bill when it is delivered.  I really would rather not book the courier as I'd be responsible in the result of damage, loss etc and even then, would/could I get hit for tax after it is delivered in HK    :(  

Does anyone have any first hand experience in matters of this nature, I'd appreciate any insight.

That is my hope/understanding BUT I can't find facts. :( 

I've said from our very first communication that I require payment in full via bank transfer (in £) before the bass is even put into the case for packing and I'll not be responsible for insurance etc etc.  I'm not trying to be a pain in the ar5e for the buyer but if anything should go wrong, I'd rather it was left to the new owner to sort out... inc tax.  It'll be cased, wrapped and boxed, with no issues (with video evidence), so any problems after leaving my hands are beyond my control.

46 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I potentially have a buyer for a bass that I have for sale on Facebook (not a BC advert or buyer).  The guy is French but has residency in Hong Kong; I've pretty much ascertained he'd have to have been setting up the most elaborate scam for years if he was trying to con me, as he has pictures and history on FB going back years of France/Hong Kong and him being a bassist; so I'm not too worried about that.  Added to which he is paying me via BACS before the bass is shipped and he is booking the courier with insurance etc and covering all costs.  

My 'problem' is that he would prefer the bass be sent to his HK address as he says there are no tax implications (£1800 bass), whereas France would hit him with 20-25% and he'd still have to pay to fly the bass with him from France to HK when he travels back there.  I just can't find the answer to the taxation of 'private' goods sent to HK!  Loads on HMRC re businesses but nada on private.  If I understand it correctly, taxation etc should all be handled and declared during the booking of the courier.  What I fear is that though he appears to be absolutely straight, I might get hit with the tax bill when it is delivered.  I really would rather not book the courier as I'd be responsible in the result of damage, loss etc and even then, would/could I get hit for tax after it is delivered in HK    :(  

Does anyone have any first hand experience in matters of this nature, I'd appreciate any insight.

I sold a bass to Singapore once.

I think the safest way for a seller to do this is to sell it on a collected basis where the buyer organises and takes complete control of the process, costs (including taxes etc)  and risks of an international shipment.  In business speak selling it on an "ex works" basis.  

Ownership of the responsibility on shipping, duty, taxes, insurance etc is then 100% with the seller, who has organised the shipping.

I direct potential buyers to interparcel /  parcelhero etc websites and ask that they organise everything.

You would then just need to box up, review the paperwork, attach labels and hand over the bass on collection to the courier company.

In my work life I have shipped many shipments into and out of Hong Kong.

Further, specifically in terms of Hong Kong, I believe HK is still classed as a "free port" so there is no customs tariffs on imports and exports.

Note - That only covers the customs duty element of all the applicable costs.  For me, I would still only want to sell on an ex works basis so the buyer has control and ownership on transport, insurance etc.

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

he is paying me via BACS before the bass is shipped and he is booking the courier with insurance etc and covering all costs. 

I don't know BACS from a ham sandwich but the shipping side of things seems entirely remote from you. He is shipping his bass from you to himself in HK. His problem to deal with HK Customs.

2 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I don't know BACS from a ham sandwich but the shipping side of things seems entirely remote from you. He is shipping his bass from you to himself in HK. His problem to deal with HK Customs.

BACS is a direct bank transfer.

Yep  - agreed, in simple terms... if the buyer is the consignee and the consignor then you would be golden Warwickhunt.