Why become a member? ×

Live stream Xmas “gig”

fretmeister

The music trust I play with has decided not to have a Christmas concert this year due to covid and the amount of vulnerable grandparents etc.

Found out that instead there will be a Facebook live stream of all the different ensembles via an iPhone. And on top of that, the big band will be doing Mariah sodding Carey’s “All I want for Christmas…”

it’s a great bit of pop music but I’ve played it so many times already this year I’m getting a bit bored with it :) 

So no xmas decorated stage in a large hall… just the ensembles in primary school classrooms where we practice.

it will either be a great bit of fun or a bad sounding disaster. Or a mix.

I’ve also been press ganged to play with the young kids ukulele orchestra. Ukulele version of Sting’s Fields of Gold and a Taylor Swift tune.

The big band is still down on numbers following covid so I have no idea how many will turn up - I suspect some won’t be happy about a live stream on a public Facebook page!

5 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Hats off to you and the trust for taking it on rather than just cancelling.

I’m sure the families of the children will appreciate it, I know I would have done.

I'm slowly warming up to the idea - like you say, it's not for me. It's for the kids. They will want to have a bit of fun, and their families will want to see what they've been up to this term.

My kids have moved on from there to other things but it was such a brilliant place for them to play with others.

So I will do my part. I will wear a big stupid Xmas jumper and try not to play any wrong notes.

With a bit of luck it will help get the numbers back to pre Covid levels - we used to get about 175 kids / young adults attend every Saturday morning and with Covid it's no better than half that at the moment.

Fingers crossed it goes well enough to not put anyone off coming next term! :D 

There's 2 good drummers there. Very different styles. I'm still recovering from when Jazz-Drummer had a day off and Double-Kick-Metal-Rimshot-Drummer depped. It was interesting doing a Burt Bacharach tune with Mini Dave Lombardo on the drums.

Raindrops keep falling on my head ...bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada badabada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada bada

• Like 1