Why become a member? ×

This will be of interest to some BCers, mebbe a minority, and not remotely so for many others!

Barking Spiders

19 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

To be honest, I don't like slap in funk or pop either, especially when it's slaps and pops. I can appreciate funk a lot more wen its just a really nice groove played finger style. 

Fairy nuff but there are gradations in the use of slap. On the one hand there's that horrible trebly, clanky sound, as heard on Korn 'songs' (for want of a better word) or high-speed, machine gun shredding (most YTers). I don't like these either. Then you've got the more groove based, deeper tones of Marcus Miller and Larry Graham.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Fairy nuff but there are gradations in the use of slap. On the one hand there's that horrible trebly, clanky sound, as heard on Korn 'songs' (for want of a better word) or high-speed, machine gun shredding (most YTers). I don't like these either. Then you've got the more groove based, deeper tones of Marcus Miller and Larry Graham.

Indeed. One of my favourite slap lines is Freddie Washington on Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" 

Simple line, great tone. A classic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Although I dislike Korn, I kind of understand their bass. It's being used as percussion. The guitar is tuned to B so pretty much has the bass covered. Their bassist, Fieldy has said in an interview that he hates the sound of bass guitars so tries to sound nothing like one.

• Like 1