Why become a member? ×

Rhythm is King-

AM1

[quote name='51m0n' post='456820' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:22 PM'][...]
On the other hand, 'stretchy' time (swingyness) between crotchets requires you to be absolutely comfortable playing straight at the tempo of the quick part of the swing.

For instance if you are swinging then the second quaver is actually as long as a triplet, thats significantly quicker than straight time, and to swing comfortably you need to be very happy at the straight tempo of that shorter quaver.

Not really explaining this too well I know, did anyone follow what I meant? :)[/quote]

Not really - and I did try. :rolleyes:

[quote name='The Funk' post='456826' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:28 PM']Not really - and I did try. :)[/quote]

Gotcha....

Reread it, and yeah not clear.....

OK in a straight feel you've got this:-

[font="Lucida Console"]1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & |[/font]

In a swing feel you've got this:-

[font="Lucida Console"]1-trip let 2-trip let 3-trip let 4-trip let |[/font]

Where 1-trip are tied together.

To play this effectively at any given tempo you must be comfortable actually playing straight at the tempo of the 2nd quaver ( let in the above) straight.

Otherwise you'll struggle and feel rushed, and sound rushed.

Does that help???

[quote name='51m0n' post='456877' date='Apr 7 2009, 10:06 PM']Does that help???[/quote]

I get what you're saying now. If you're playing swing or swing-funk, you have to able to play smoothly and consistently in triplets not crotchets.

Now I'm trying to work out why you said that. :)

I think Garry's right and maybe you're overanalysing it. :rolleyes:

I played with the Blues band for the second time tonight.The drummer and me have "gelled" and it's a bloody treat to play with him.I'm relatively new to playing bass in bands but up to now i've half a dozen drummists under mi belt so to speak.This guy is in a different league and feel wise and we've hit it of really well.I was always searching with the others guys trying to lock in but now it's happened and i know how it feels it's a revelation. We got it funkeh !!

Edited by kennyrodg