Why become a member? ×

Does anyone do a late 50's specced P bass under 500 quid?

Bassmingo

As per the title, the critera is the neck profile MUST be late 50's spec, ie:

One piece maple.

1.75"/44mm at the nut.

7.25"/184mm radius

Vintage sized frets

Vintage C profile

20 frets

Used vinteras/roadworns/50's reissuses are impossible to find in my market and if they do pop up the prices would probably be too cheeky.

Unless anyone knows someone who makes a Squier/Sire type with the above spec, my only solution seems to be sourcing a neck from the aforementioned basses.

I am guessing by the question that the Squier Classic Vibe Late 50s Precision bass isn't right for some reason?

I see that the nut is 1mm narrower than you want, oh yes, the radius is also wider.

https://www.peachguitars.com/squier-fsr-classic-vibe-late-50s-p-bass-2-tone-sunburst.htm

Other than that, fender classic series, but probably out of your budget and harder to find. Older G&L SB1s have it, Older sires have a 7.5" radius too.

On 29/11/2021 at 15:56, Woodinblack said:

I am guessing by the question that the Squier Classic Vibe Late 50s Precision bass isn't right for some reason?

I see that the nut is 1mm narrower than you want, oh yes, the radius is also wider.

https://www.peachguitars.com/squier-fsr-classic-vibe-late-50s-p-bass-2-tone-sunburst.htm

Other than that, fender classic series, but probably out of your budget and harder to find. Older G&L SB1s have it, Older sires have a 7.5" radius too.

Yeah, the Squier doesn't match the criteria, its kinda what has prompted this post. If I wanted a sub 500 quid bass that looked like a late 50's I'd be all over it. But I want one that feels like one. 

What era SB1 and Sires had the 7.5?

36 minutes ago, Bassmingo said:

Yeah, the Squier doesn't match the criteria, its kinda what has prompted this post. If I wanted a sub 500 quid bass that looked like a late 50's I'd be all over it. But I want one that feels like one. 

Unfortunately with SB1s there wasn't really an 'era' as such, just occasionaly they decided to put a 7.5" neck on it. Which is kind of how G&L do it, which makes it hard to get them!

I belive the original Sires had 7.5 but now seemed to have evolved into 9.5. So fender classic series neck on something else?

Not too helpful I know, seems an uncommon requirement judging by sizes around.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bassmingo said:

Why don't you get the squire and take it to a luthier and have them make the neck to your spec and refinish it?

7 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Why don't you get the squire and take it to a luthier and have them make the neck to your spec and refinish it?

I've never had to price a job like that, but I'm still gonna say: cos it would cost more than 500 quid total? For that kind of money you may as well marry a 50's spec neck to a squier body, and if I'm spending that much then I may as well buy a vintera...

The main point of my post is if there's an off the shelf option for 500 or under, and it's looking like the answer is no. I just thought someone might have come across one that I missed. 

Edited by Bassmingo