Why become a member? ×

Best 7 string sets?

Billy Bongo

Help! I'm new to a seven string and would welcome any suggestions for string sets. Some of the set that came with my secondhand bass are knackered. Three play beautifully, but I'm used to changing the lot. No idea what they are and the bloke who sold me the bass didn't know either. Currently playing solos with a mildly classical or folk feel, so like a mellow top end but with clarity. Should I make a set up? I've used Addario and Rotosound round and flat on my 4 strings but I really have no idea for 7.

Speak to Neil at Newtone Strings. If you tell him the scale of your bass and the feel and tone you're after, he'll make you a set. They're made in the UK and don't cost any more than a decent 6 string set. Great string and good value all while supporting a home grown business! 👍

Alternatively, Kalium do great sets, as do Conklin. I've had custom sets for my 10 string made by Rotosound in the past but they are very expensive! 

Newtone would be my recommendation.

https://newtonestrings.com/

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Speak to Neil at Newtone Strings. If you tell him the scale of your bass and the feel and tone you're after, he'll make you a set. They're made in the UK and don't cost any more than a decent 6 string set. Great string and good value all while supporting a home grown business! 👍

Alternatively, Kalium do great sets, as do Conklin. I've had custom sets for my 10 string made by Rotosound in the past but they are very expensive! 

Newtone would be my recommendation.

https://newtonestrings.com/

Good of you, Binky. I'll give Neil a call.