Why become a member? ×

Sanding neck, Fender fretboard refresher? Advice please.

karlfer

I've not sanded the back of a neck before but can I really do that much damage to a 2008/9 Road Worn Jazz?

Anyway, I saw a video that recommended applying lemon oil after sanding.

Being a lazy git, I have a little bottle of Fender fretboard refresher which smells a bit lemony.

Would it be ok to use that?

Thanks in anticipation 🙂 

Hi Karl, are you planning on taking back to bare wood? If this is the case, I use fine sanding pads and then fine grade wire wool (masking all electronics first). Then I use Birchwood Casey Tru Oil on the unfinished wood, and finish with gunstock wax.  If you’re just smoothing out a sticky gloss finish or taking out dings then I just use wire wool again, but no oil or wax as the wood isn’t exposed.  Lemon oil is just lemon scented mineral oil which won’t do any harm.

steve

Edited by Muppet
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

You can use these Karl, they come in fine and medium, they are used in furniture making and for fine sanding in between spray coats, I’ve done a few of my necks and they come out so smooth 

E27C4FD0-4F93-4D78-84CE-C93F5FEE5102.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Hi Karl, are you planning on taking back to bare wood? If this is the case, I use fine sanding pads and then fine grade wire wool (masking all electronics first). Then I use Birchwood Casey Tru Oil on the unfinished wood, and finish with gunstock wax.  If you’re just smoothing out a sticky gloss finish or taking out dings then I just use wire wool again, but no oil or wax as the wood isn’t exposed.  Lemon oil is just lemon scented mineral oil which won’t do any harm.

steve

Perfect chaps, that covers it all.

Now, to get round to it 😆 

Many thanks guys.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...