Why become a member? ×

Design change 2nd opinions

MrDinsdale

Designed and built this bass when I was 16 with the help of my dad (fortunately a luthier). 18 years later I have a few issues with the half Warwick, half explorer design I decided on.

Toying with the idea of resulting if I can find a close matching piece of bubinga to replace the pointy bit.

The other option (more expensive) is to cut off the wings entirely and do a full redesign.

Or finally leave as is with some light re shaping to round off some areas and add some contours to make it a little more comfortable. Quality of life improvements Vs large changes.

I've done some quick rough ideas for what the first option might look like. Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome!

I'm leaning towards leaving as is or the nuclear chopping off the wings entirely options atm.

PXL_20211018_095535262.jpg

PXL_20211018_095548031.jpg

received_1058123464950716.webp

• Like 1

You're obviously not sentimental about the design you made with your father. If it were me I would want to preserve the shape (and potentially not damage that fab tone) and so would go for the option on the far left as the minimal change.

To solve the leaning issue?  Sit down with Dad again, assuming he's still around, and design a custom folding stand. 

@Richard RYeah I think nostalgia is the thing that made me stop and take a pause on re-designing it. That being said it'd be a nice oppourtunity to do something again like this with my dad, i certainly need his tools and equipment!

@JimotheyI think what i found with a minimal design change is that it's severely limited by how close the bridge is to the end of the body. I think if I had more space to play with I'd opt for a shape more like this:

received_10155471667126687.webp

49 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Definitely go for a custom stand that lifts the instrument higher than normal  so the controls are off the floor.  Then you have two bespoke items 😁

I'll stop now, I have nothing else useful I can add, as I really like the shape.

That's a very good shout, I popped over the other night to raid his tools and electronics stuf and found a really nice maple and wenge through next, glued but un-shaped so perhaps I can talk him in to giving me that and doing a new design instead 🤣

• Like 1

You built this with your dad? Sorry, but I’d say leave well alone. That type of memory/nostalgia is priceless, especially when your dad is no longer around. Buy yourself a Hercules stand and celebrate the originality.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It weighs a hell of a lot! I decided to keep it as is and just give it some little quality of life improvements. I think I'll hold out and build a new one instead if I get time, until then I've got my Warwick corvette which is a little more convenient for taking to practices and gigs, certainly a good deal lighter!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Right, changed my mind. Haven't touched this in a long time and can't see that changing in the future.

I've decided that I'm going to go with lopping the wings an cap off, narrowing the neck by 1.5mm on either side to make a 42mm nut and 19mm spacing at the bridge.

For the new wings/cap I'm going to use black limba or similar, possibly a pale moon ebony top.

Pickups will be 2 Turner multicoil humbuckers in a Wal like configuration with a Lusithand pre.

This is the shape I'm thinking, decided against a scratch plate.

Lots of work but I think it'll be well worth it, thankfully still have lots of offcuts from the neck laminates in a box somewhere which will help with patching!

IMG_6915.thumb.jpeg.33917306758b143662e325e9711b31f1.jpeg