Why become a member? ×

EB-0 Upgrade Project

Pookus

I recently got a new Epi EB-0 with the intention of creating something along the lines of a Mike Watt EB3. It's going to take a few steps as I don't have loads of spare cash.

However, I have now replaced the bridge with a Hipshot Supertone, the machine heads are now Schallers and the pickup is a Model One Dimarzio. Strings are TI flats.

I have shimmed the neck slightly to create a better angle but the bridge and neck seem set too high so any ideas? Action is ok though, just want to bring it all nearer to the body (and pickup which is non adjustable).

Here are some pics....

[attachment=23289:DSC03530.JPG]
[attachment=23290:DSC03531.JPG]
[attachment=23291:DSC03533.JPG]
[attachment=23292:DSC03534.JPG]

[quote name='neepheid' post='454111' date='Apr 4 2009, 02:24 PM']The pole pieces of the Model One are adjustable. You can raise/lower them individually with the appropriate allen key.[/quote]

I think I'll route a couple of mm out of the neck pocket... (carefully!)

[quote name='Pookus' post='454155' date='Apr 4 2009, 03:11 PM']I think I'll route a couple of mm out of the neck pocket... (carefully!)[/quote]

I would advise against it when there's a non-destructive thing you can try first, but it's your call.

[quote name='neepheid' post='454156' date='Apr 4 2009, 03:14 PM']I would advise against it when there's a non-destructive thing you can try first, but it's your call.[/quote]

I'm keen on getting the finger board nearer the body. I can then lower the bridge. There is about a cm gap between strings and pole pieces at the moment - which seems too big to me.

[quote name='Pookus' post='454165' date='Apr 4 2009, 03:26 PM']I'm keen on getting the finger board nearer the body. I can then lower the bridge. There is about a cm gap between strings and pole pieces at the moment - which seems too big to me.[/quote]

I'm really sorry (my head is all fuzzy with post gig comedown) but I am struggling to understand why you feel you have to make this rather drastic change when you can raise the pole pieces to meet the strings and you state that your beef is with the gap between the pole pieces and the strings. Plus if it doesn't make a difference, you won't have lost anything other than a few moments of your time.

[quote name='neepheid' post='454218' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:08 PM']I'm really sorry (my head is all fuzzy with post gig comedown) but I am struggling to understand why you feel you have to make this rather drastic change when you can raise the pole pieces to meet the strings and you state that your beef is with the gap between the pole pieces and the strings. Plus if it doesn't make a difference, you won't have lost anything other than a few moments of your time.[/quote]

Its not really the distance between the strings / pickup thats bothering me. Its the height I've had to adjust the bridge to compensate for the shims I needed to put in the neck pocket to get the angle right (now my neck only has a tiny amount of relief and the action is good with no buzzes etc.) I just feel the whole lot could come down a bit. I want it flatter - its a feel thing.

[quote name='Pookus' post='454223' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:20 PM']Its not really the distance between the strings / pickup thats bothering me. Its the height I've had to adjust the bridge to compensate for the shims I needed to put in the neck pocket to get the angle right (now my neck only has a tiny amount of relief and the action is good with no buzzes etc.) I just feel the whole lot could come down a bit. I want it flatter - its a feel thing.[/quote]

Fair enough then. I wasn't trying to be argumentative or anything, just making sure you weren't going to unnecessary lengths to achieve something :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='454227' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:27 PM']Fair enough then. I wasn't trying to be argumentative or anything, just making sure you weren't going to unnecessary lengths to achieve something :)[/quote]

I really appreciate your comments - the forum acts as a sound board for ideas. You have really helped me! Oh yeah the bridge is great too! Thanks :rolleyes:

Presumably you want to give the Epiphone more of a set neck gibson feel with the board more or less flush with the body. If so, it's not much harder to rout an angled face in the neck pocket, negating the need for shims and maybe even the bridge spacers. How does it sound with your mods?

[quote name='henry norton' post='454234' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:44 PM']Presumably you want to give the Epiphone more of a set neck gibson feel with the board more or less flush with the body. If so, it's not much harder to rout an angled face in the neck pocket, negating the need for shims and maybe even the bridge spacers. How does it sound with your mods?[/quote]

Yep thats exactly what I'm after. I just need to be super organised when I get the router out. I reckon if I shim the jig I'm going to use I should get the neck pocket angle just right.

i was going to start a similar thread with my EB0 project hough mines a littel more drastic,

i think may have put similar tuners to you on the head, though i've put a schaller 3D bridge rather than retro fitting with a hipshot. haven't found myself a model one yet, though have got a basslines MM pickup to put in at the bridge. also i'm a lefty s i'll be re positioning all the controlls to underneath the scratch plate - so that'll be 2 volume 1 tone two coil tapping switches and a pickup selector - bit of a squeeze. also i'll need to shave off the corner where my arm now rests - it'll add to the mojo. i've already statrted all this, had a few problems with the nut, i'll be starting again. also serious neck dive issues, it really doesn't like being upsidedown, now have a 3 poitn strap contraption.

mine if we become build diary partners or shall i start my own???

[quote name='Pookus' post='454241' date='Apr 4 2009, 06:55 PM']Yep thats exactly what I'm after. I just need to be super organised when I get the router out. I reckon if I shim the jig I'm going to use I should get the neck pocket angle just right.[/quote]

You'll just need to be careful with the holes for the screws as once the angle is cut they'll effectively be slightly angled themselves relative to the holes in the neck.

How different is the dimarzio compared to the original pickup by the way?

[quote name='henry norton' post='454622' date='Apr 5 2009, 01:08 PM']You'll just need to be careful with the holes for the screws as once the angle is cut they'll effectively be slightly angled themselves relative to the holes in the neck.

How different is the dimarzio compared to the original pickup by the way?[/quote]

What is the solution for screw hole angle issues? I could fill the holes and re-pilot new ones I suppose.

The DiMarzio is a massive improvement on the Epi job, which is horrible. I changed the nasty strings for TI flats at the same time, so that would have contributed to the improvement also.

Edited by Pookus

[quote name='Pookus' post='454695' date='Apr 5 2009, 03:37 PM']What is the solution for screw hole angle issues? I could fill the holes and re-pilot new ones I suppose.[/quote]

That's probably your safest bet. You can tap some hardwood scraps and glue into the holes, clamp it up once it's dried and trimmed and pilot drill once you're completely happy with the set. Having said that you might as well try it with the existing holes first (it's already been shimmed anyway), but I just thought it might be worth keeping an eye on it just in case the change in angle and position affects the final position of the neck.

Good luck mate - I've bought an EB0 off the forum and am really excited about getting started on it. Keep us posted.

[quote name='henry norton' post='454871' date='Apr 5 2009, 08:00 PM']That's probably your safest bet. You can tap some hardwood scraps and glue into the holes, clamp it up once it's dried and trimmed and pilot drill once you're completely happy with the set. Having said that you might as well try it with the existing holes first (it's already been shimmed anyway), but I just thought it might be worth keeping an eye on it just in case the change in angle and position affects the final position of the neck.

Good luck mate - I've bought an EB0 off the forum and am really excited about getting started on it. Keep us posted.[/quote]

I played the EB-0 for the first time with the band since the mods. What a difference! Fantastic. The only thing to do now is the neck pocket. Trouble is I'm getting high feedback so need to sort that out too. Maybe roll of the "valve" boost on the Ashdown - could it be an issue with the pickup? Any ideas?

Edited by Pookus

[quote name='harryharold' post='455291' date='Apr 6 2009, 12:00 PM']damn, i though i was being original with my EB0 modding, i've put flats on too - really sounds lovely. The feedback could possible be solved with shielding - all of it even the pickup cavity.[/quote]

Just ordered some copper shielding tape to do the job. Thanks for the tip.

[quote name='henry norton' post='454234' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:44 PM']Presumably you want to give the Epiphone more of a set neck gibson feel with the board more or less flush with the body. If so, it's not much harder to rout an angled face in the neck pocket, negating the need for shims and maybe even the bridge spacers. How does it sound with your mods?[/quote]
[attachment=23436:TR150_b3.jpg]

I'm going to use this router bit to deepen the neck pocket. First I will make a jig which will use the same shim as in the neck pocket to get the angle just right. I expect to take off up to 4mm. The neck will then sit nice and low like a set neck. Pics to follow.

Edited by Pookus

I bit the bullet today and got on with the routing. I've been planning this all week in my mind and I'm well chuffed with the results!. This is what I did.
I made a pencil rubbing of the pickup screw holes. This enabled me to fix a piece of 3/4 inch ply to the bass by screwing into the pickup screw holes. I then routed out the template by using a bottom bearing trimmer bit (simply following the profile of the existing neck pocket). Then I changed router bit to a top bearing trimmer / plunge bit, set the cut depth and took off about 4mm from the neck pocket depth. I then put everything back on and lowered the bridge saddles. Then I hit a snag. Bum :) . Even with the bridge saddles on their lowest position they were still too high. Now I had a cunning plan! :brow: As I have a Hipshot bridge I knew I could remove the little saddles and file new ones in the aluminium underneath. This worked a treat. Now I have an EB with a similar feel to the set neck Gibson. :rolleyes:

[quote name='henry norton' post='463167' date='Apr 15 2009, 05:08 PM']Yesss, pictures please![/quote]
Indeedy! Here are some pics. If you compare these with the photos from the beginning of the thread you can see that the neck now sits much lower (4mm) in the neck pocket. Also if you look at the bridge I have now removed the cylindrical saddles and filed grooves in the aluminium doobries instead. The action is slightly high still (not as bad as it looks in the picture) so I will take off another mm from the bottom of the bridge. It also needs a bit of a clean!

[attachment=23870:DSC03582.JPG]
[attachment=23867:DSC03580.JPG]
[attachment=23868:DSC03581.JPG]

Edited by Pookus