Why become a member? ×

SOLD! Epiphone Rivoli 1964 - Sunburst with tortoise pick guard
£1950
Leamington Spa

sam-davies

I'm having a gear clear out and selling this short-scale and my Stingray 5 HS Stealth. I tried selling this about 7 years ago too when I was decided about what to keep.

This is a 1964 Epiphone Rivoli (EB-232). I bought it from Chandlers in Chiswick (RIP) about 10 years ago. It's a beautiful guitar with a really warm sound. I don't know huge amounts about the bass, I'm no expert by any means just know when something sounds good. As soon as I tried it in the shop I knew it was a good tone and good instrument to play. It has obviously been played a lot over the years which adds to its charm in my opinion.

It had a really good set up about 5 years ago and has been in its case since as my regular player was the Stingray. Here's the original spec from the Epiphone catalogue:

Body dimensions: 16"x19"x 1 3/4"
Double cutaway
Scale: 30 1/2
Frets: 20

Body joins neck at: 18th
Pickup: single (Alnico magnetic, according to catalogue)
Switch: 'Presence Switch' (switches between a baritone and bass characteristic)
Bridge: metal-bar
Wood: maple
Fretboard: rosewood

Information is a bit scarcer than the EB-2 but it's pretty much the same bass. The Rivoli had a choice of a black pickguard with the Epiphone 'E' on it or a tortoise one without the logo.

As you can see from the photos there has been an access panel added in the back. I bought it like this and believe it was to access the wiring at some point in its history. The pots are original, I haven't had the wiring verified, however it still kicks out a great sound through an amp.

I have a soft gig bag with it too. I'm based in Leamington Spa but work in and around Birmingham for collection / trying out. 

rivoli_1.jpg

rivoli_2.jpg

rivoli_3.jpg

rivoli_4.jpg

rivoli_5.jpg

rivoli_6.jpg

rivoli_7.jpg

rivoli_8.jpg

rivoli_9.jpg

rivoli_10.jpg

rivoli_11.jpg

rivoli_12.jpg

rivoli_13.jpg

Edited by sam-davies
  • Like 1

• sam-davies changed the title to SOLD! Epiphone Rivoli 1964 - Sunburst with tortoise pick guard
  • Silvia Bluejay locked this topic