Why become a member? ×

Hi there!

TrypF

I've been lurking for a little bit in lockdown, so thought I would take the plunge.

Been playing bass since I was 14, moving from upright to electric in the school concert band. Since then, I've been in bands, duos, whatever on and off, usually on bass, sometimes playing guitar and singing. I'm a big fan of instruments and arrangements serving the song. My tastes are pretty broad, but when writing I veer towards a classic guitar pop style with a bit of jangle - think Crowded House, later XTC and Fountains of Wayne. I left a rock'n'roll band I'd been playing bass in after about 15 years last year, and since then have been helping people out during lockdown. This has included recordings for a prog/math rock band, a country-rock outfit, a punk duo and a friend's children's album about animals. I'm also going to record an album of my own songs with a friend drumming and me doing the rest.

Many of my guitars and basses have been modded, none more so than my main bass. The basses are:

• 1998 Mexico Precision 'Trigger's Broom', modded with new machine heads, graph tech nut, Seymour Duncan quarter pounder and Babincz full contact bridge. In fact, only the wood and frets are original. Strung with roundwounds. A very loud piano-like bass, built like a Toyota pick-up truck.
  • Cort G series bass, bought for a song (£200?) in early 2000s. Traditional J-style with lightweight Hipshots, block inlay maple board and a walnut veneer top. Strung with flats and a great recording bass.
  • Cut-and-shut fretless P bass, inherited from a friend. Neck is from a defretted 70s Fender, body and guts were useless so I bought a cheap P bass copy and put them together. Did the superglue/polish thing on the board and it gets a decent woody tone - well, good enough for a year's stint in a jazz/blues band. Also strung with flats. Still gets used for recording sessions.
  • Sansamp for recording and live DI in bigger venues.
  • Roland 100 cube for small gigs and monitor for bigger shows, run flat.
  • No FX apart from a Boss tuner.

Look forward to meeting you all. I'm a bluff traditionalist as you can see, but even though I'd never touch a 5 string or take a solo, I defend anyone's right to play the way that makes them happy. Snobbery be damned!