Why become a member? ×

Steelye Span...

diskwave

Saw them in Basingstoke last night in a little seated theatre, never seen them before, in fact come to think of it havent been to a live theatre gig for quite a few years, festivals but not theatres.

Anyway what a treat, and yes I know their not everyones cup of tea but it was so re-freshing to watch an old school bunch of musicians live on stage with everyone playing their part and rocking too with some brill upbeat groovers........And good old Maddy Prior still at it at 70 plus....she's a flippin institution and still sounding pretty good.

One little observation and only cause Im a four banger was watching the bass player constanty fiddling with his Jazz bass...haha, still, he sounded very nice, full and fat with a touch of grindy clarity - it really underpinned the band.

I dont often wax lyrical about bands anymore. Their either too loud, processed or boring but Steelye last night were bang on.

Live music dead?...no way.

• Like 1

First gig I ever saw was Steeleye Span… 1974 or thereabouts. Awesome stuff. Maddy Prior used to set off the the stage and go jigging up the aisles in a floaty white dress… very memorable stuff for young Trueno. The bass was always very memorable… at the time I saw them they had only just got a drummer… so the bass had previously driven everything. Their live performance of “Gaudete” was quite something.

They always had really good support… Alan Stivell, breton harpist… and Gryphon, remember them? I think I’ve always been abit of a folkie at heart.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Trueno said:

First gig I ever saw was Steeleye Span… 1974 or thereabouts. Awesome stuff. Maddy Prior used to set off the the stage and go jigging up the aisles in a floaty white dress… very memorable stuff for young Trueno. The bass was always very memorable… at the time I saw them they had only just got a drummer… so the bass had previously driven everything. Their live performance of “Gaudete” was quite something.

They always had really good support… Alan Stivell, breton harpist… and Gryphon, remember them? I think I’ve always been abit of a folkie at heart.

Its funny I always kinda thought they were  floaty folksy prog rockish but a few of their tunes had me leaping about in my seat, and they weren't quiet either with two overdriven guitars and fiddle competing for our attention.....I dont know about former incarnations as theyve had loads of lineup changes over the deacades but what ever it is there doing now they need to keep at it...its very good indeed, very, very musical and just flippin exciting.

• Like 1