Why become a member? ×

GB Streamliner - lights

Freddi375

I had exactly the same issue with my Streamliner and used 3mm 3v 30mA blue led diodes that I got from that well known online auction site. These are still going strong and I went for a smaller led as I didn’t want the blue lights to be too bright on a dark stage. 

22 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

There's a bit more to it than changing bulbs as the LED are itty bitty things surface mounted to fancy circuit board which most home hacks will turn into a pile of scrap. Find the UK service agent.

I completely agree that you need to be confident in de-soldering and soldering on PCBs and have the right equipment. The diodes are mounted through the PCB and have to be de-soldered to remove. I used a solder sucker, a solder workstation, decent solder and flux. The diodes also have a positive and negative side and need to be mounted in the correct direction on the PCB. If you burn the PCB then you will, as Downunderwonder said, end up with a pile of scrap as you will struggle to find spares. Having done it once, I wouldn’t risk it again if mine failed in the future. It really is a fiddly job fraught with pitfalls. 

if you are in any doubt as to your abilities then I would find someone who is competent in PCB soldering and pay them to do it.

Edited by Silky999

Message me and I will help you sort it out.

If the job isn't done right, you can indeed end up with a mess. I do not have any replacement PCBs left, ironically in all the years I have serviced these amps, I have never needed a replacement board but I have seen plenty damaged from failed repair attempts that would have been a simple, inexpensive job for a QUALIFIED tech. They are a double sided PCB with plated holes, damage the plating and you have a problem.

Due to chronic issues with blue LEDs from what were well qualified suppliers/brands, we moved to using CREE parts due to their much higher overall reliability (of course they cost more too, but that wasn't the reason we used the parts we did use, CREE didn't have this part available until years after the amp was designed.)

• Like 2