Why become a member? ×

Neck Relief. Have i got this right?

dave_bass5

After being happy for a few months with Chromes ive put a set of Fender 8250s (back) on my Fender P5.
Im now having issues with the E string, around the 3rd-6th fret.
The E and B are tapered so i have raised the saddles up a bit. I had the P5 set to the spec on the Mr Gearhead site and this worked wonderfully with the chromes. I know its down to playing style and is only a guide but for me it worked.

Now i have the brighter strings on i find playing a A on the E string is causing me to get a rattle/fret buzz. Ive raised the string so its just a bit higher than the A which to me isnt right.

Im thinking now that i should put a bit more relief in the neck. Does this sound right? Would this then allow me to lower the string slightly.

The frets look fine and have been since i got the bass. This only happens when i play with a pick (99%). It might be because the strings are new and much brighter than i have been used to but i want to try and get this sorted before the next gig.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers.

I would check the "relief" on the neck to see how much curvature there is already.

There are various ways of doing this but be suggestion is -

1. Press and hold the lowest string down at the 2nd fret (or use a capo to hold it there)
2. Press and hold the same string down at the 12th fret
3. Check halfway between the two frets
4. The gap between bottom of string and top of fret at halfway point should be about the thickness of a business card

If there is no gap then you need to loosen the truss rod slightly to add relief.

If the gap is bigger then tighten the truss rud to straighten the neck a little.

If the strings you've just put on are lighter than the previous ones then this might have caused the neck to straighten a little and reduce the relief. Heavier strings would tend to pull the neck more and add relief.

Thanks guys.

The relief on at the moment is just over 2mm. im using the Mr Gearhead method so capo behind first fret, last fret held down and measuring the E string (ignoring the B for now) at the 8th fret. This might not be the best way but its what ive always done.
This has had some relief put in as it was closer to .5mm with the chromes.
2mm seems a bit excessive to me but its helped. What i might do is wait for the strings to loose some of their brightness and that may allow me to re adjust it. The action isnt too bad at the moment.
The strings are a slightly heavier gauge to the Chromes.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='451285' date='Apr 1 2009, 11:02 AM']The strings are a slightly heavier gauge to the Chromes.[/quote]

That's what I was going to ask you. Just a little increase in gauge can make a big enough difference to get fret buzz.

[quote name='Hamster' post='451303' date='Apr 1 2009, 11:11 AM']That's what I was going to ask you. Just a little increase in gauge can make a big enough difference to get fret buzz.[/quote]

Yeah, thats what i was thinking. Plus they are very bright at the moment.
Its also down to my playing style as if i play with fingers its not a problem.

Ive just ordered some Elixirs to replace the Fenders.
I think they are a higher tension and that might help. I felt the Fenders to be a bit loose and this may be the cause of my problem.
I had a set before and they felt nice but these feel different. Could be im just not used to them or it could be something else but as Elixirs are my fav string anyway ive got nothing to loose.

If you're putting heavier gauge on, I'd expect tension to increase on the neck, that would give more relief, not less, and higher action, so I'm wondering why the heavier ones are giving the buzz. I would normally expect lighter gauge strings to need a touch of truss rod slackening to maintain the same action.

Im wondering if it was just the very bright newness i was having a problem with.
Also the Fenders seemed quite floppy compared to my Chromes.
Im not saying the strings altered the neck although they probably did but i ended up with more relief via my adjustment so i could keep the action pretty much as it was before without the fret buzz.
Who knows, i might even have had it before but due to the tone of the Chrome i might never have noticed it.
I got my Elixirs yesterday. Same gauge as the Fenders but they went on fine and i even got to lower the action and take a bit more relief out of the neck so its pretty much back where it started (ie, almost flat). There is a bit of buzz but only when i dig in and this is playing through headphones, im sur eit wont notice at the gig.

In a way im glad i had the problem with the Fenders as i really love Elixirs and i feel my P5 is playing much better now. Feels a lot more comfortable and tone wise its what ive been missing since i switched to Chromes.

Cheers all, problem solved.