Why become a member? ×

Distorting Lakland Duck Dunn

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='454909' date='Apr 5 2009, 08:56 PM']Well I got the devil bass back from my Luthier who changed all the electrics (pots and wires) in the bass but alas, no difference. He copied a standard precision setup and also set the pickup height to what Lakland recommends and despite being slightly better, overall, its not that different and the problem continues. However, he did notice that the coils are vibrating like crazy and Lakland have offered to replace the pickups free of charge which I thought was rather superb of them. So this is what I will do and fingers crossed, will solve the problem. It has to really as everything else has been changed already.[/quote]

Im not totally surprised, Laklands customer service is awesome. Very few companies would go that far.

[quote name='bumnote' post='455785' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:54 PM']Im not totally surprised, Laklands customer service is awesome. Very few companies would go that far.[/quote]

Yeah, even Jo the luthier is totally amazed at this customer service. He says they have been great to deal with and so helpful and friendly.

[quote name='Linus27' post='455821' date='Apr 6 2009, 08:40 PM']Yeah, even Jo the luthier is totally amazed at this customer service. He says they have been great to deal with and so helpful and friendly.[/quote]

Thats really good news mate. glad its slowly coming together.
Personally i would have asked the seller for some sort of compensation for all this, especially having to get all the electrics done.
I think (bound to be wrong though) that even second hand you have some comeback.

Mines now gone to a good home but i do miss it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='456127' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:08 AM']Thats really good news mate. glad its slowly coming together.
Personally i would have asked the seller for some sort of compensation for all this, especially having to get all the electrics done.
I think (bound to be wrong though) that even second hand you have some comeback.

Mines now gone to a good home but i do miss it.[/quote]

Yeah, I can't wait to get her back and play her full time. Going to be a week or so untill the pickups come over from the states and are fitted.

As for the previous seller, all I can say is that he has been more than helpful and a true gentleman in compensation towards the problems so I have no complaints there :)

Mine looks like your one now with the black scratchplate. I pulled her out of the bag at the luthier and two other people who were there said WOW. Considering I was worried about the red, I now adore it.

I bet you miss your one :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='456169' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:49 AM']Yeah, I can't wait to get her back and play her full time. Going to be a week or so untill the pickups come over from the states and are fitted.

As for the previous seller, all I can say is that he has been more than helpful and a true gentleman in compensation towards the problems so I have no complaints there :)

Mine looks like your one now with the black scratchplate. I pulled her out of the bag at the luthier and two other people who were there said WOW. Considering I was worried about the red, I now adore it.

I bet you miss your one :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sounds good. I guess its just one of those things (well, at least 5 of them anyway).
Did you ever find out what pup it was?

Yeah i do miss mine although its been about 5 months since i last gigged it. :-(

I put off getting it because of the colour first time around but was very pleased once i did get it. I don't think most pics show how nice and sparkly it can be.
Of the two i had the one i sent back was a sightly darker red with less sparkle.

The thing i miss most though is the Fralin. I put Elixirs on my DD and it sounded perfect. I put a set on my P5 last week and it sounded very different. In fact after one gi gthey came off and my Chromes went back on.

Keep us posted once you get it back. Good luck.

(Note to self. stop talking about Lakland ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='456181' date='Apr 7 2009, 10:03 AM']Sounds good. I guess its just one of those things (well, at least 5 of them anyway).
Did you ever find out what pup it was?

Yeah i do miss mine although its been about 5 months since i last gigged it. :-(

I put off getting it because of the colour first time around but was very pleased once i did get it. I don't think most pics show how nice and sparkly it can be.
Of the two i had the one i sent back was a sightly darker red with less sparkle.

The thing i miss most though is the Fralin. I put Elixirs on my DD and it sounded perfect. I put a set on my P5 last week and it sounded very different. In fact after one gi gthey came off and my Chromes went back on.

Keep us posted once you get it back. Good luck.

(Note to self. stop talking about Lakland ;-)[/quote]

HAHA well, all this talk of Lakland I must admit, coupled with the quality, service and playability of the bass has made me think about getting a Darryl Jones bass in natural with maple neck and block inlays. One of my dream basses is the Fender Jazz American 75 re-issue in Natural with the black block inlays. However, I just love the Lakland brand and wonder if its worth just getting the Darryl Jones instead. The only problem is I would have to sell my Fender Jazz 70's re-issue which again, is an amazing bass. I have only just bought it so would probably lose a fair bit of money on it despite it being in mint condition. I think the true decider is when I gig it. I am yet to gig it so if I am not happy with the sound then that would be my mark to sell her. My ESP jazz is my reference as no other Jazz has sounded as good so if the Fender is not as good then she will have to go.

As for the pickups on the Duck Dunn, as far as I know, they are Lakland's own, due to the red and black wires. Fralins I think have white and black. Lakland have also confirmed this. I so can't wait to get the bass back. The tone is to die for.

So, which Lakland are you going to buy?? If I post some pictures, will that help :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='456226' date='Apr 7 2009, 10:58 AM']So, which Lakland are you going to buy?? If I post some pictures, will that help :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

yours, for £300 ;-)

Seriously though, im a one bass man. While i have my P5 i have no need at all for anything else. Im not saying this the best bass in the world but as i can only play one at a time anything esle would just sit at home.
I tend to buy basses because i want to play them and have a need for them but always based on only ever taking one bass to the gig. I got the P5 because i wanted a 5 string P so at the moment i dont need anything else. I still have a HW1 Jazz at home in case i need a 4 string for some reason but everything else has gone.
Once i get tired of the 5 string ill go back to 4 and i guess it will be another DD. By that time you'll be ready to sell LOL.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='456243' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:13 AM']yours, for £300 ;-)

Seriously though, im a one bass man. While i have my P5 i have no need at all for anything else. Im not saying this the best bass in the world but as i can only play one at a time anything esle would just sit at home.
I tend to buy basses because i want to play them and have a need for them but always based on only ever taking one bass to the gig. I got the P5 because i wanted a 5 string P so at the moment i dont need anything else. I still have a HW1 Jazz at home in case i need a 4 string for some reason but everything else has gone.
Once i get tired of the 5 string ill go back to 4 and i guess it will be another DD. By that time you'll be ready to sell LOL.[/quote]

HAHA this bass is famous now. You would not even get change from £300 for the gigbag :):)

The only problem with your P5 is its broken. They put a 5th string on it. I mean how silly is that, everyone knows basses have 4 strings. Typical Fender quality control :rolleyes: :D

I thought you sold your HW1. Good on you for keeping it. Oh, and I'll never sell the DD. I have two children following me who I hope one will get into bass playing.

Actually your right about the P5 being broken. I asked (or is it Aksed these days?) for a guitar and they gave me this.
I told them i was a bass player and basses should only have 4 strings but they laughed at me and told me to go and join a Prog rock band and see what happens. they were right. I can now do a good impression of a set of Taurus peddles. Of course once i leave the band ill have to stop playing that string.

I sold my old HW-one P to get the DD last year but the Jazz will stay as i love the neck and in the event that i do go back to 4 string i know i have a very good neck that i can put on whatever P i end up getting. This way i dont need to get a DD just for the narrow neck.

My youngest is also after my bass. my 13 year old son wants to be a rapper by all accounts but the 4 year old loves sitting hitting the string. Of course he knows not to touch the P5 but he is happy with the Jazz (yeah, i know, what else are Jazz basses good for ;-)

Right so that half of BC insulted, im off to lunch.

[quote name='wazz' post='456444' date='Apr 7 2009, 02:26 PM']is it as simple as the pickups being too high and overloading or saturating?[/quote]

No as they have been set to what Lakland recommend and before that, lower than normal.

• 1 month later...