Why become a member? ×

Little Markbass Micromark 801 Vs little Vox VX50BA

Aalin

Hi

Can anyone compare the small Markbass Micromark 801 amp
https://www.thomann.de/gb/markbass_micromark_801.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9
To the Vox VX50BA
 https://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_vx50ba.htm?
I have the Markbass and use it for cafe restaurant, and find it quite powerful for its size, even with a drummer. I play jazz. Now my back being what it is today, I am 68 years old, I would be interested in the Vox which weighs 4.4kg instead of 6.6 for the Markbass.
Can the Vox be pushed let's say at 2/3 or more of its power and keep a clean sound ? Has anyone ever tried the Vox in such a situation or have both amps and can make an a/b ? jazz trio cafe restaurant with drummer + singer?
All your comments will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Alain

Edited by Aalin

Hi Alain - I've not had either combo you're looking at although I've had a couple of the larger MB combos, but I was interested in your query - the Vox does look neat! And I have to confess having a soft spot for Vox as my very first amp, which was both very loud and incredibly heavy, was a Vox AC30 in the days when I pretended to be a rock guitarist.

I've not found too much discussion / direct comparison, but this short thread had a few posts: Markbass Micromark 801 vs Vox VX50-BA | TalkBass.com

Al Krow, thank's for your answer and your link to Talkbass.

(I should have thought about it).
There is not much to read about it for the moment.
Yes the Vox is tempting but probably a bit just in level.

The Markbass is incredibly powerful for its size,

and you're right, the Vox AC 30 is super heavy. 😀
I think I'll probably order the Vox from Thomann and if that doesn't fit to me, send it back.
I always take care of the things I return.

To be continued while waiting for other people to answer.

Edited by Aalin

Lemmywinks

As I was answering to Al Krow, your answer came.
Yes external power brick though doesn't give the impression of a gig worthy amp.
I already have a Phil Jones 7kg Bass Cub with 5 "speakers that I would like to sell because I find it a bit light in power compared to the Markbass. It lacks bass, on the other hand the sound is HiFi. The double four could be an option but… 409 € A Used one may be. This makes me think that I can not expect more from the Vox than from the Phil Jones that I already have, except from one HP of 8 compared to two of 5. Think Think Think 😀

3 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

As Trace Elliot is now Peavey VOX is now Korg. Gone are the days when playing through a VOX made you feel like you're getting somewhere in the music business. :(

Yeah, know what you mean...just like when buying a Rolls Royce you end up getting a BMW these days. Or a Helix Stomp is just another Yamaha product. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

What makes me think of the possibility of the Vox was its HP of 8".
Generaly for my gigs, I never go below 10. exept  for the Markbass 801 witch can be quite loud for it's size, I find that below 10, it always lacks bass. As for the Markbass 801, This is why I have a thought for the Vox.

Edited by Aalin