Why become a member? ×

NBD: thoroughly modded Squier Matt Freeman P

Munurmunuh

3 minutes ago, mcnach said:

This was also a Matt Freeman Squier, it's been modified a bit ;)

Are those Model Js under those tasty cream covers?

PS best Jazz ever, clearly 👌

PPS with the black pg, I kind want the bridge pickup to be black.... Cream on black, black on cream.....

Edited by Ricky Rioli

6 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Are those Model Js under those tasty cream covers?

PS best Jazz ever, clearly 👌

PPS with the black pg, I kind want the bridge pickup to be black.... Cream on black, black on cream.....

Well...

:D

Initially it had two black Nordstrand Jazz style pickups (forgot which model) in the right spot for a Jazz bass. But I didn't love those pickups. So I tried the cream covered DiMarzio Area J, which I have on my Jazz and really like. Then I got tired of teh Jazz configuration, and moved the neck pickup to its current location. 

I have the black pickguard now and... a pair of black covered Model Js! I just need to find the time to change them over. I got a loom already wired with a Tonestyler knock-off type of control and series/parallel switch, which I hope will work well on this bass with the Model Js. The Area J are great Jazz-like pickups, they have that single coil character even if they're humbuckers, but I want soemthing fatter with thicker lower mids. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/02/2023 at 11:36, Baloney Balderdash said:

I simply can't picture how on earth the neck could possibly develop a shape like an S

Did you eventually work this one out? There's only six planes on which an S can be written in three-dimensional space, so you should be able to rattle through the options in a minute or two.

1) going across the fretboard, the frets bending one way then the other. Froody.

2) going down the fretboard, the neck bending to the E side and then the G side and then back again. I like the surrealism of this one, the strings at some points hanging over the edge of the neck as it twists back and forth.

3) on a cross section of the neck, going down from the fretboard, no can't make this one work even in a nonsense way.

4) on a cross section of the neck, the fretboard raised at the D string but lowered at the A string. Would definitely want a freshly cut nut for this.

5) looking at the side of the neck, a vertical line dropped from a fret going .... no, this one is just impossible, too.

6) with the bass vertical, looking at the side of the neck, the gentle bow of the fretboard interrupted with a hump and then a dip.

33 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

4) on a cross section of the neck, the fretboard raised at the D string but lowered at the A string. Would definitely want a freshly cut nut for this.

Thanks for elaborating. :i-m_so_happy:

Even if that wouldn't really form a shape like an S at all either.

I guess raised on E string, lowered on A string, then raised on D string and lowered on G string kind of would though, but even then that would be the strings/nut and not the neck forming an S.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 09/02/2023 at 21:24, Ricky Rioli said:

20230209_201425-01.thumb.jpeg.f10fb3cb1b7ed5db6c73a618f82f401a.jpeg

Screenshot_20230209-201847_Gallery-01-01.jpeg.806dc2def83b7e7e2fc066d9212b4d17.jpeg

Screenshot_20230209-202102_Gallery-01.jpeg.b831e344b7771c218def572b0735002d.jpeg

Damn, that's crazy...

Just couldn't imagine a neck ever warping like that...

That some impressive warp going on there.

How would that warp just be exclusive to at the first fret though, and how would cutting a new nut be able fix it?

Your description of this issue in the OP isn't really as clear as you apparently think it is (I realize that it obviously is to you because you know what the actual issue is already having the bass in question physically with you).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

14 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

To veer off on a tangent — did you ever try the Area Js with flats? 

Not quite, no. I had Labella white nylon tapes on my Jazz for ages but not standard flats.

For the modified Matt Freeman I have a set of TI Jazz flats, but finishing this bass is not a priority right now... if only this thing called 'work' stopped getting in the way of my free time... :D

• Thanks 1