Why become a member? ×

NBD (LTD content)

Witch Hazel

oh, this is my first post!  hi!

so anyway, a couple of months ago i decided to start playing some bass again. i played a little bit a few years back, but never really got into it properly, but i decided to try again and take it more seriously this time around.  i bought an Ibanez SR300E, which i've been pretty happy with: it has strings on it and makes bass noises when you pluck them, which is really the main thing i look for in a bass.  but then i started looking around at other people's basses, and i thought: hmm... i'd sort of like to try having a fifth string.  and then i thought (because this is the kind of thing you think after playing fiddle for 15 years): hmm, i'd also like to try something fretless.

obviously, the only possible outcome of all that thinking was "why not both?", so i threw some money at Mr. Thomann, and yesterday this turned up at my door:

ltd.thumb.jpeg.f079cb6f03520f33a3456df4729ca686.jpeg

it's an LTD B-205SM FL.  we're still on our honeymoon right now, but i'm pretty sure this is my new favourite bass, and i'm already wondering how much i can sell the Ibby for.  the extra string feels so right that i don't think i could ever go back to only having four of them, and being able to do proper slides and vibrato without the frets getting in the way is wonderful.  i'm having to readjust a bit - it's easy to get lost on the fingerboard with so many strings, and shifting without staring intently at my hand is a bit of a crapshoot as far as ending up on the right note goes - but hopefully a bit of practice will sort that out.

now i'm just thinking: hmm, i'd kind of like something with an unlined fingerboard...

• Like 7

Hey Witch Hazel, welcome to the forum. Hope you do keep on enjoying your new bass, but this is only the first of what will likely be many NBD threads you make if you hang around here for too long 😂

Really like your bass, the figuring in the wood is pretty cool!