Why become a member? ×

Pit Bull MMB-5 build

Lord Sausage

3 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I'm really interested to see how the Azure Lagoon looks once all the coats are done - I have also been caught out by the 3 month shelf life and foolishly tried using it on a dark wood - did not go well! Yours looks great already though.

I'm not so sure yet, going on well in some places and not others. I'm hoping it builds up well but I have no experience in this. 

I also ordered the silver highlights so if it doesn't look good I may just splurge them all over it. 

If I'm still not happy I'll end up spraying it in orange nitro.

• 1 year later...

Thread Resurrection!

Basically the wudtone finish didn't take well at all. Hardly any went on and it looked a weird green as opposed to what it should have been. I put this down to me not preparing it well enough but who knows.

Anyway, it pissed me off so I sacked it off. Realising its a sanding down back to bare wood which I couldn't be bothered with at the time. Now 18 months later, I'm ready to try again. Sand it down and try the customer finish again. If this fails its spraying time.

I've bought an orbital sander and started to sand it down.

My question is

Doesn't every single trace of the previous oil finish have to be removed from the grain for the next oil finish to stick?

Cheers 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2024 at 18:18, Lord Sausage said:

That's the first pass on 80 grit. If every remnant needs to go i will have to go down to 40 grit then come back up thru to 180.20240430_181529.thumb.jpg.45e9aee41ab7afba4ff792c985ee3f37.jpg

Well I've gone at it with 40 grit and it's beginning to get the rest out. Hope the body doesn't end up matchstick thin!

I imagine I'll have it back up to 180 in a week or so.

Edited by Lord Sausage

It's going to take forever to get all the last flecks of finish out of the grain so I've spoken to Wudtone. If I use a pigment dye, once I get most of the finish off, that will cover over the previous.

So I'm gonna go with one of thesetango-500x500.jpg.029568d20ac3e09089ece417fb1c1aaf.jpgsurfergirl-600x600.jpg.21872803a0d4438349867eb77f3b8ed9.jpg columgol1-1000x1000.thumb.jpg.0ae9bebb6335ec82374a9291431c4fc9.jpgNot sure which yet.

Does anyone have any advice on contour sanding the edges? it would have to be hand sanded.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have no hints & tips re edge sanding, other than just go at it.  Takes an age!

The middle example above seems to match what remains of your first finish in the neck pocket.  Brown seems to cover everything well - it’s what I used on my refinish (used Crimson Guitars stuff);

My only regret with this one was being an impatient prat and not leaving enough time between stain coats, leaving it a touch patchy in places.

Edited by Pea Turgh
Damn autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

On 07/05/2024 at 09:14, Lord Sausage said:

It's going to take forever to get all the last flecks of finish out of the grain so I've spoken to Wudtone. If I use a pigment dye, once I get most of the finish off, that will cover over the previous.

So I'm gonna go with one of thesetango-500x500.jpg.029568d20ac3e09089ece417fb1c1aaf.jpgsurfergirl-600x600.jpg.21872803a0d4438349867eb77f3b8ed9.jpg columgol1-1000x1000.thumb.jpg.0ae9bebb6335ec82374a9291431c4fc9.jpgNot sure which yet.

Does anyone have any advice on contour sanding the edges? it would have to be hand sanded.

Think I'm gonna go with the surf green. Gonna try and get it sanded to 240 over the week 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know ow anything about random orbital Sanders?

I used at 40 grit to remove the finish and it seemed fine.

I had a go with 80grit today and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Hardly any dust coming off the sandpaper on it doesn't seem like it's been used thought I've gone over the body lots of time. I'm essentially using the weight of the machine. If you put too much pressure it stops spinning. I've tried it on fast speed and slow. Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Any advice would be welcome 

Cheers