Why become a member? ×

Lakland Appreciation Thread

Sibob

This looks like a good Black Friday deal from Guitar Guitar. If my Sandberg sells in time I'll be going for it:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/13022212363316--lakland-skyline-darryl-jones-5-string-white-pearl-maple-fingerbo

image.thumb.png.952ea8dc288167e9616db5fdd53ba0c5.png

.....in fact, I might just get it wheter my Sandberg sells in time or not, then I can compare them both - if the Sandberg wins then I can return the DJ5 to Guitar Guitar up until 31st January (they are running an extended returns window), if the DJ5 wins then I'd expect that the Sandberg will sell for that sort of price eventually (and if it doesn't and I get stuck for money I could just  return the DJ5). Flawless plan! 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I Purchased A Lakland 5594 In The Early 2000s With The Bartolini Preamp & Pickups And It Sounded Fantastic ! I Sold It Like A Dummy And Now Can’t Afford One As Mine Back Then Was Around $2200, Now There Around $4500 ! I Ended Up Buying A Used 5502, I Believe Around 2011 With The LH3 And Lakland Pickups And Did Not Like The Bright Aggressive Tone So I Ordered Me The Bartolinis Like My Older 5594 USA And Now I’m More Than Happy ! The Skyline Is Still Close To $2000 Around $1800 New ! The Skyline Is Just As Good As My USA Version In My Honest Opinion, My 5594 Had A Quilted Maple Top And Rosewood Fretboard, My 5502 Is A 3 Color Antique Sunburst, Plain Ash Body With Rosewood Fretboard ! I’m Extremely Happy Since I Installed The BARTS ! Sounds Fantastic ! Most All Boutique Basses Used To Come With Bartolinis And I Now Know Why They Just Sound Amazing ! I Owned A Roscoe LG3005 With Barts Sounded Amazing As Also I Owned A Tobias Killer B5 With Barts Sounded Great ! Love My 5502 And Will Keep It ! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris G said:

I Purchased A Lakland 5594 In The Early 2000s With The Bartolini Preamp & Pickups And It Sounded Fantastic ! I Sold It Like A Dummy And Now Can’t Afford One As Mine Back Then Was Around $2200, Now There Around $4500 ! I Ended Up Buying A Used 5502, I Believe Around 2011 With The LH3 And Lakland Pickups And Did Not Like The Bright Aggressive Tone So I Ordered Me The Bartolinis Like My Older 5594 USA And Now I’m More Than Happy ! The Skyline Is Still Close To $2000 Around $1800 New ! The Skyline Is Just As Good As My USA Version In My Honest Opinion, My 5594 Had A Quilted Maple Top And Rosewood Fretboard, My 5502 Is A 3 Color Antique Sunburst, Plain Ash Body With Rosewood Fretboard ! I’m Extremely Happy Since I Installed The BARTS ! Sounds Fantastic ! Most All Boutique Basses Used To Come With Bartolinis And I Now Know Why They Just Sound Amazing ! I Owned A Roscoe LG3005 With Barts Sounded Amazing As Also I Owned A Tobias Killer B5 With Barts Sounded Great ! Love My 5502 And Will Keep It ! 

My experience exactly. I bought a 55-94D in 2003 and loved the sound, feel and look. It retired my Wal and was my #1 bass for 14 years, but, at just over 10lbs started to cause aches and pains in my bad back, so I sold it.

Last year I bought a 55-02 and while I thought the sound of the LH3's was OK I missed the Barts. At 8 1/2lbs, which is light for a Lakland, it was still causing me back problems, so it was also sold. My #1 bass is now a 6 1/2lb Sandberg and I was toying with the idea of installing a set of Barts.

@Chris G which Barts did you buy?

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1