Why become a member? ×

Lakland Appreciation Thread

Sibob

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Has anyone ordered a Lakland 5502 skyline from new.? If so where from and what are the options available.? Thanks for any info. 

I bought mine new & if I remember correctly Guitar Guitar only had black & sunburst at the time.

They have a few others now tho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Has anyone ordered a Lakland 5502 skyline from new.? If so where from and what are the options available.? Thanks for any info. 

The options available are whatever the shop have in stock with Skylines. You might be able to order a colour that Lakland offer in their website, but the shop doesn’t have, but I think you’d be in for a wait. You can’t order Skylines direct from Lakland.

If you’re talking about a US 55-94, then you can order direct and they’ll build you whatever you want (within their available body shapes).

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

The options available are whatever the shop have in stock with Skylines. You might be able to order a colour that Lakland offer in their website, but the shop doesn’t have, but I think you’d be in for a wait. You can’t order Skylines direct from Lakland.

If you’re talking about a US 55-94, then you can order direct and they’ll build you whatever you want (within their available body shapes).

Si

I was thinking about ordering through Guitar Guitar.?  Im thinking a natural quilted maple 5502 with a rosewood board. But I'm not sure of the exact options available. It will be my ninth Lakland. 😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I was thinking about ordering through Guitar Guitar.?  Im thinking a natural quilted maple 5502 with a rosewood board. But I'm not sure of the exact options available. It will be my ninth Lakland. 😁

Looks like they do the 55-02 Deluxe in natural, that would be the quilted top. But they’ve moved away from Rosewood for Skylines (as did many brands as we know), so would be Laurel.

I’m certain GuitarGuitar could order it, just depends what the wait is for that spec to come through their factory, presumably they’re Skyline stock is made and goes straight out to dealers, so unlikely to be that spec sitting around.

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Looks like they do the 55-02 Deluxe in natural, that would be the quilted top. But they’ve moved away from Rosewood for Skylines (as did many brands as we know), so would be Laurel.

I’m certain GuitarGuitar could order it, just depends what the wait is for that spec to come through their factory, presumably they’re Skyline stock is made and goes straight out to dealers, so unlikely to be that spec sitting around.

Si

I called Guitar Guitar and they can't order any Skylines for certain specs. What they have in stock is it. hmm

6 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I called Guitar Guitar and they can't order any Skylines for certain specs. What they have in stock is it. hmm

That’s a shame. Lakland might be able to put you onto a dealer that has one?! Although guessing that might involve importing it.

Si

I just spoke with Matt at the Bass Gallery. He told me he may be able to order the spec. He will let me know. There was a 5502 sold a while back that is pretty much the spec I'm looking for. This instrument. But like Sibob said the rosewood may not be available. 

IMG_20180729_183536.thumb.jpg.0ff98a2f9ba1c35293366c3d3a8cfe3c.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2

I've had three 4402's and a 5502 Korean skyline and currently have a USA 55-14 - all amazing basses. The difference between them I'd say is almost all in the neck feel and I love the maple fret markers! I got all mine second hand and paid about 60% more for my 5514 on top of the 5502 price. For me it was well worth the extra and I only sold the 5502 to buy the 5514 as I love the way the neck feels, tonally they sound very similar

• Like 2

I just spoke with Steve P from Lakland and he said this. hmmmm. 

We have switched back to Rosewood boards on Skyline models, although I can’t speak to what GG has in stock. They could have Pau Ferro boards on them. As for what GG can get from us, they are limited to what we are producing. We really don’t custom configure Skyline models.

5 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I just spoke with Steve P from Lakland and he said this. hmmmm. 

We have switched back to Rosewood boards on Skyline models, although I can’t speak to what GG has in stock. They could have Pau Ferro boards on them. As for what GG can get from us, they are limited to what we are producing. We really don’t custom configure Skyline models.

Ah that’s good about rosewood, although I wouldn’t really call it ‘custom’, they have the spec listed on the 55-02 Skyline page under ‘Deluxe’:

29E8AFDB-5752-462F-8467-1E0C42221C44.thumb.jpeg.2a31ddcc5c9147b69da5fb53ba22eb63.jpeg

Si

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Ah that’s good about rosewood, although I wouldn’t really call it ‘custom’, they have the spec listed on the 55-02 Skyline page under ‘Deluxe’:

29E8AFDB-5752-462F-8467-1E0C42221C44.thumb.jpeg.2a31ddcc5c9147b69da5fb53ba22eb63.jpeg

Si

No for sure not custom. I don't really dig the plain maple boards unless they were crazy Birdseye like my old 5594. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...