Jolltax

Which Harley Benton / super cheapy should I buy as a practice beater to keep at work?

Pushed the button on a Harley Benton JB 75 SB (the sunburst one with the black inlays), I am quite excited, I will definitely get some Neck bolts and the plan will be to remove the neck for transportation and hopefully fit it in a suitcase for travel.

I also like the idea that it has potential for future upgrades as well but for the time being I'll just be practicing with it.

Thanks very much to everyone who offered advice in this thread, everyones time was much appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Quick update and thank you, I got my HB JB-75 yesterday :

hb75.thumb.jpg.395cbdeb74ee9df15463619cfcccd795.jpg

Very exciting, I used it for my online lesson last night, needs a few tweaks (bit buzzy) but in general plays very nicely and importantly seems very sturdy and well made (considering the price) so should be good to travel with and stand up to a bit of rough treatment.  I am also sort-of relieved that it is not as nicely made or to play as my Sire, which is a relief as it was quite a bit more expensive.  I think its an absolute bargain and it seems to sound pretty good, its churlish to complain for the price.

I also ordered the Sustaiin neck bolts from Amazon which I will fit, after measuring the screws currently in position based on your advice I think it will be a good way of taking the neck on and off for travel !

EDIT One thing people people say which I would observe appears to be true is that it seems HEAVY. Obviously I don't  have a lot of experience of other basses but its waaay heavier than my Sire

screwit.jpg.7279d188f8b0bdf5d3357ec536d8474e.jpg

I also bought an audio interface to use with it while I am away :

20210416_100056.jpg.689bf59fdc2e66f47a1891f696975da7.jpg

Jolltax

Edited by Jolltax
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2021 at 20:01, Paul S said:

I cant imagine you could buy a better bass for the money, frankly.

You'll be pleased to hear that the Fury II has finally found a new home, where it is the only bass amongst a handful of guitars, and I'm told that it is being very much appreciated :)

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By waylander
      Morning All
      Might sound like a stupid question but how do you find other amateur musicians to jam with?
      For context I picked up bass originally in my early 20's and back then finding a amateur guitarist was a dime a dozen, either a friend played or had a mate who did. As with all things life got in the way and i put down the bass to pursue a career as it required alot of studying and exams with the aim to go back once i qualified. That took slightly longer then intended (10 years on and off) but i've been back playing for a year now and i'm getting to the point it would be cool to find others to jam with, however it's difficult to find anyone these days. All those mates or friends of friends have stopped playing or moved away. I've had a look on the joinmyband website and most want experienced players for proper bands which is a bit beyond my scope atm.

Any tips?
    • By Jolltax
      Hi,
      Ideally I need a small tool I can keep while travelling that will enable me to do basic maintenance like truss rod adjustment, tuner nuts, neck removal etc
      I see this one on Amazon but I don't trust Amazon reviews, what would people recommend as a 'throw in a travel bag' option?

• By dave84
      Bass trailer of the most selling pbass on Thomann store in all its glory accompanied by the music of Van Halen ... enjoy!
      https://youtu.be/yBQFFuVJAak
    • By mcnach
      Not exactly NBD since I had it for a couple of weeks now or so.
      This is the black satin 'stealth' finish. They seemed to be on the light weight side, and mine didn't disappoint at 8.6 lbs. 
      The set up was poor to start, far too much relief and very high saddles, but a few minutes spent reducing the neck curvature and adjusting the saddles brought it to a very comfortable action. The nut slots are well contoured but a bit too high, which makes me think that somebody tried to adjust the action by playing with the truss rod and saddles, failing, and then going the other way... I haven't adjusted the nut yet because it plays well enough already, but I'll have to do that to make the top positions a bit more comfy to play.
      I really like it. The neck is wider than a SR5 (so the G string doesn't fall off!  ) but not excessively chunky. I find it quite comfortable. Not as nice as the Lakland 5502, but still very comfortable. The narrower string spacing (compared to my 4 strings) and the additional string means I was a little clumsy to start, but I've been playing this bass exclussively since I got it and I'm getting there now.
      In fact, I'm starting to really like this 5 string thing.
      I owned 5 string basses before but I never really got along with any. The closest ones were the Lakland 5502 and the old made in USA EBMM SUB 5. The Lakland had the wider string spacing that I prefer, but I didn't get the Stingray-like sound I prefer. The SUB5 had the sound, but I felt the neck was a bit too narrow and it was a very heavy bass. A Squier Jazz V came and went too, and over the years so did a Peavey Millenium, a Washburn Bantam (that one was pretty good too), a Crafter something or another, a G&L L2500, and maybe something else too. Nothing really stuck. And here comes the Harley Benton. I didn't need a new bass, certainly not a 5-string (by now I had accepted 5 strings are not for me and I no longer wanted to own one)... but these satin black ones looked so good, were so cheap, and the reviews were so positive... that it tempted me. Before I pressed the button, my girlfriend went and ordered one for me, just before they sold out in November.
      If I had to give it a one word review it would be 'wow'.
      This is a very decent bass, regardless of price, but when you consider the price... yeah, wow.
      It has that Stingray vibe and the passive electronics are just fine. Sure, not as versatile as having an onboard preamp, but I actually love passive tone controls, so I'm happy with it as it is.
      For some reason this bass feels and sounds nicer than any of my previous 5 string basses, and because of that playing it exclusively for the past 2 weeks was not a chore. Yeah, it was frustrating at first, but as I adjust to the different layout it becomes more fun... and I feel like something clicked. I'm enjoying immensely how I can move across strings and reduce the movement up/down the neck that way. I don't use the additional lower notes that much, but I use a lot of the notes I would often play on the E string on the B string now, just moving across with fewer jumps to different hand positions on the neck which also means I look at the neck a lot less. And having the option to play those notes between the low E and A on the E string for more definition or on the B string for additional girth is really useful too.
      This may be the bass that makes me finally 'get' 5 string basses. How much does it cost? Crazy. I would have paid quite a bit more for a bass that I can enjoy as much as this one.

The pickguard will be replaced 'though. Not a fan of tortoiseshell, I think it's screaming for a black one.

• By waveydavy
      Yamaha SC-02 sessioncake practice amp for sale. Recent impulse purchase a fortnight ago , put batteries in to test but otherwise new in the box.
      looking for £20
      Features & details
      A Portable, lightweight, battery powered device for creating, collaborating and mixing Plug in your microphone, keyboard or digital instrument Jam with your friends Jam or practice with iOS apps Mix your own session Input L/mono, input R (standard phone, Hi-Z), mic input (XLR), phones, chain x 2 (stereo mini), aux (4-pole mini)