Why become a member? ×

Which Harley Benton / super cheapy should I buy as a practice beater to keep at work?

Jolltax

Pushed the button on a Harley Benton JB 75 SB (the sunburst one with the black inlays), I am quite excited, I will definitely get some Neck bolts and the plan will be to remove the neck for transportation and hopefully fit it in a suitcase for travel.

I also like the idea that it has potential for future upgrades as well but for the time being I'll just be practicing with it.

Thanks very much to everyone who offered advice in this thread, everyones time was much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update and thank you, I got my HB JB-75 yesterday :

hb75.thumb.jpg.395cbdeb74ee9df15463619cfcccd795.jpg

Very exciting, I used it for my online lesson last night, needs a few tweaks (bit buzzy) but in general plays very nicely and importantly seems very sturdy and well made (considering the price) so should be good to travel with and stand up to a bit of rough treatment.  I am also sort-of relieved that it is not as nicely made or to play as my Sire, which is a relief as it was quite a bit more expensive.  I think its an absolute bargain and it seems to sound pretty good, its churlish to complain for the price.

I also ordered the Sustaiin neck bolts from Amazon which I will fit, after measuring the screws currently in position based on your advice I think it will be a good way of taking the neck on and off for travel !

EDIT One thing people people say which I would observe appears to be true is that it seems HEAVY. Obviously I don't  have a lot of experience of other basses but its waaay heavier than my Sire

screwit.jpg.7279d188f8b0bdf5d3357ec536d8474e.jpg

I also bought an audio interface to use with it while I am away :

20210416_100056.jpg.689bf59fdc2e66f47a1891f696975da7.jpg

Jolltax

Edited by Jolltax
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2021 at 20:01, Paul S said:

I cant imagine you could buy a better bass for the money, frankly.

You'll be pleased to hear that the Fury II has finally found a new home, where it is the only bass amongst a handful of guitars, and I'm told that it is being very much appreciated :)

• Like 2