Gr Bass One 800 Vs Aguilar Tonehammer 500

johnpaulbass

Listener's verdict :)  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you prefer ?

• Gr Bass One 800
    • Aguilar Tone Hammer 500

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/04/21 at 09:00

I’ve just stumbled on this thread. My own experience with GR is recent, I liked the idea of lightweight cabs and Class D amps although I Run a McGregor Bassmate (1U 12Kg)  a full on 650 Watt MOSFET Head. I recently bought a GR208 from a BassChatter and complemented it with another from BassDirect. One was punchy, two are really punchy, then I spotted the GR ONE 800 Watt, on here, had to have it. I now have a really lightweight Rig that punches way above its weight (if that makes sense). I am liking the GR One for its tonal palette, the Zingy click with the treble up a bit is reminiscent (to me) of the good old days of just three knobs, Bass, Treble and Volume all of them on full. Another bonus is it will support a three cab rig (utopia) a minus is the size of the switches and the ‘Pure’ switch, why? I have not tried the Rig in a band situation yet but turning it up in my “Shed” gives a huge sound. As this is my swan song for playing I’m going out on a cracker of a Rig, no more GAS for me Boyo’s. Well er another GR208 perhaps.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I should add an update, my unit went back to Thomann. It was a little delayed getting back but I got my money refunded. Just recently I followed up and they confirmed the unit was faulty. They did not clarify what exactly but a knowledgeable friend suggested it was a power supply issue. There was a loud repeating click when linked up to two BFM Omni cabs, which suggested a capacitor was charging and discharging.

My dilemma now is whether to retry with a different unit or go with a GK Legacy 800. I like the features on the GR better, and also the tone seems less harsh than the GK. Other than that I guess they are aimed at similar users. The drive setting on the GK, is something I doubt I will use. Anyone got experience of the two brands who could offer views?