Why become a member? ×

nut issues on vintage(make)bass

mister g

hi everyone hope you are all well!!
got a problem, do not laugh,bought a vintage(make) v900eb active,
i have a problem with the e string at the nut...it is too low ,relief on the neck is fine .
i think it has been either set too low or filed out ???.
question 1.should i replace the nut and shim up a little
quetion 2. this is where you all laugh...can i build up the groove with someting and re file??
help please guys.
i know lots of questions will follow this posting as a lot of set up issues are raised but i have explored all routes on curing this annoying problem,
it causes the e string to vibrate on the frets [b]behind[/b]my left hand,all other aspect of the set up are fine to the best of my research/knowledge.

no it is not new.
yes i know they are not great.
i am a bit scared of removing the nut .but not that scared .
any and all :lol: constructive :lol: advice welcome.

:) :rolleyes: :D ;)
cheers guys ,
mark.

[quote name='mister g' post='444111' date='Mar 24 2009, 06:59 PM']hi everyone hope you are all well!!
got a problem, do not laugh,bought a vintage(make) v900eb active,[/quote]

Vintage make excellent basses for the money - nothing to laugh about! :)

Approach 1: Pop the nut out. Cut some strips off a string packet to lay in the nut slot. Coat each strip with glue. Lay them in and press them down until you've built up 2 or 3 thicknesses. Try Leave to dry.

Try the nut back in the slot. Put the string back in and check. Is it high enough now? If not - carry on with the strip / glue thing. When it's high enough, use a tiny smidge of glue and put it back in.

Re-cut the string slots to the right height.

Approach 2 :If there's enough nut left to file some off from a non-contact point (nuts are often usually excessively high between the strings) - do so, and collect the dust.

Get a couple of very narrow bits of gaffa and stick them along both vertical faces of the nut, level with the top.

Pack some of the dust into the offending string slot until level with the top of the nut and drip on a drop of superglue in (nail repair glue stolen from the missus works a treat). The dust will soak the glue up and the gaffa stops it all falling out.

Should go solid. Leave for an hour or so. Strip away the gaffa and start cutting your new slot

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Paul_C' post='444509' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:30 PM']superglue and bicarbonate of soda works well as a slot-filler too - careful though as it gets very hot, very quickly :)[/quote]
thanks for the tips, i really do not want to remove the nut if i can help it as the other string heights are fine so these tips really help,
has anyone ever tried jb weld ???.
i have used it before to repair plastic components at work it seems quite versatile??
cheers,mark. :rolleyes:

+1 for superglue and bicarb - its a Dan Erlwine trick. I've used it a couple of times on worn nuts. As a temp fix I use a small piece of foil folded over a coouple of times and just held in the slot by string pressure, useful only to see if raising the slot helps with the action. Funny one of my temp fixes has been superglued in place for the last 12 months and still going strong :)