adamlunt

FS - Fender Precision Bass 1978
£1500
Birmingham

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I’ve decided to list my old P Bass in favour of something a little more traditional, perhaps with a sunburst and rosewood flavour. Not a desperate sale by any means, but I have a strict 1 in 1 out policy. 

As you can see, it’s a great example of an old school ash-body, maple-board P Bass. Ready for punk and indie, but can handle soulful RnB all the same.

I’ve owned the bass for just over five years now, and as a player’s instrument it’s certainly served it’s purpose, so as I’m sure you can understand, it isn’t in collector’s condition. The previous owners have modded the bass over the years as follows:

• Dimarzio PAF pickup - Earlier version of the Model P with the cream cover. Loud and punchy in the mids, but surprisingly dynamic.
  • BadassII bridge installed at some point - Just the badass-est bridge ever!
  • CTS pots - The originals probably wore out. For me, this just ensures the bass works.

In 2020 (amidst all the chaos) I had the bass refretted with narrow/tall frets, and as a result it plays like a dream. I chose narrow/tall because they feel comfortable, and have used Daddario Chromes solidly, meaning there is no wear whatsoever. Even the most small-handed players should feel right at home!

The body has some wear where a previous owner had fitted and removed a thumb rest, and the neck has some areas where the finish has come away, but this is no way affects playability.

I know the important question with basses from the era is the weight, and while I don’t have scales, I’m guessing it’s 4.5-5kg, with most of the weight in the body. I'm 5'7" and around 9.5st, and it has never felt uncomfortable.

I am looking for a sale at this point, as I hope to fund another bass, but if there is a nice sunburst P Bass out there, I am prepared to exchange with cash your way if needed. And I'm sure it goes without saying, please feel free to get in touch for more pics or info.

All the best,

Ad

B06A8134-D960-4908-A0FB-5434D7FCACCF.jpeg

3BD040E9-82A7-40D1-B805-D9D6FD62A012.jpeg

9A9FFA01-9A86-488A-831E-847B24486E49.jpeg

2A5068E0-E357-4698-93FF-0BE7923B21F0.jpeg

28140FD9-4C6F-4B68-8CF6-B3D9EE749B70.jpeg

5BB58DAE-1707-43F6-8925-5C17A76585A0.jpeg

A6F0419D-AA1B-46D8-95C9-7D11DC51C289.jpeg

3D703BDC-1BA1-4F7B-9F5E-AB23E21CB040.jpeg

Edited by adamlunt
  • Like 13

Posted (edited)

It's got that Paul Simonon vibe about it....from a similar production era as these show:

906605695_PaulSimononLondonCallingPrecisionbody.thumb.jpg.fd7e19b4bc57f1edbb058081bd115bc1.jpg186719828_PaulSimononLondonCallingPrecisionHeadstock.thumb.jpg.b84acdce40835fe86e0b9c05489d66c2.jpg

Edited by Piers_Williamson
duplicate pic
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a punk era classic, Paul Simenon, Sid Vicious et al.  Great bass, GLWTS.

Love this quote from Simenon, on how he trashed the wrong bass:

“The show had gone quite well,” he recalls, “but for me, inside, it just wasn’t working well, so I suppose I took it out on the bass. If I was smart, I would have got the spare bass and used that one, because it wasn’t as good as the one as I smashed up. When I look at it now, I wish I’d lifted my face up a bit more.”

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, von Braun said:

Definitely a punk era classic, Paul Simenon, Sid Vicious et al.  Great bass, GLWTS.

Many thanks. You're absolutely right, but by no means a one-trick pony! 😀

12 hours ago, Danbass29 said:

Would you post the bass to Scotland 

I’m unable to post, I’m afraid. 

On 29/03/2021 at 12:03, MirrorMan said:

That is a thing of beauty - my 75 and 76 both have Di Marzios.

Thank you very much, sir. The pickup is brilliant in this one, and is surprisingly versatile. 

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 19:43, Danbass29 said:

Would you post the bass to Scotland 

I’m based in Birmingham, so fairly central and easy to get to. Plus, when you’re spending this kind of money you really should play it first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamlunt said:

Thank you very much, sir. The pickup is brilliant in this one, and is surprisingly versatile. 

They are great pickups, and in a great bass!

• Thanks 1

On 10/05/2021 at 17:11, op82 said:

Is this still for sale?

It is still for sale, yes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.