Why become a member? ×

Sire M5

Machines

I needed wanted to get a more versatile 4 string, whilst my Squier CV 70s Jazz isn't a one trick pony, it's passive and I find myself wanting a bit more from it.

I'd been loitering on the Andertons website a few days, the spec of these for the price looking extremely impressive. Watched a few YouTube vids, sounded great too, and as someone who likes playing with knobs, the EQ on this looked great.

Well, it arrived on time, and I have to say is not disappointing. The finish is excellent and the wiring cavity may be the best i've seen under a grand. It needed a setup, just bridge saddles lowering and pickups raising slightly. Tone out the box is very Jazz bass, but the coil taps for series/parallel/single coil (outer coils only) make it have a lot more choice. EQ is best used sparingly, bass can be overpowering, but the treble isn't too brittle. I tend to avoid the parametric mids, but there may be something of use there in the studio.

The neck is outstanding, the rolled edges are super comfy. It's light, (~8lbs) and balances well seated or strapped. Lots of fun to be had with this, and time to sell the Squier (sorry Mockingbird, you too).

Is it blue or green ?!

IMG_20210212_133655.thumb.jpg.7babcb11673c16b6c3cda14457b19548.jpg

Bridge is very solid, optional string through.

IMG_20210212_134728.thumb.jpg.7bf4d42b49dfdbca1d1886c8ecc77b36.jpg

Impressive shielding and neat

IMG_20210212_140559.thumb.jpg.cba6c9f9967c8099a92f078d1ed99d97.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Lovely!

I've long had an eye on these, I rather fancy a fretless, and/or the 6-string version. In fact I hope they might do a fretless 6, eventually!

I really like the 6 string M7, but they're more than double the price. Same pickups, EQ and a maple top ?! I really struggle to see the value there, as the M7 5 string is £655 which seems fair, but the 6 is £949. 300 quid for one more string ? Err no.