Why become a member? ×

8-string, 30" scale

dangerboy

I need some help...

I've just bought an early 80s Kramer 8-string aluminium-necked beauty. It's 30" scale, and the included Badass means that the main strings and octave strings have to share the same intonation.

Pic attached for lust purposes.

I was wondering what strings people would recommend? I'd prefer to put something made of stainless steel on it, because I don't really get on with nickel. Normally I use Elites, but they don't seem to do short-scale strings.

One issue is that the position of the octave string tuners might mean that I need full-scale octave strings. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Normal ernie ball guitar strings were long enough to reach on Joe's one of those, think his is 32" scale, we measured at some point. I think the octave strings will mean you don't need the brightness and clank of steels, and nickels will make your frets last better, as I would guess refretting that would be a ballpain.

I've not seen one of these for years - fantastic! I too would go for nickels - it might be worth talking to Newtone - they'll wind anything to your spec. (not cheap but I've found the strings and service to be excellent).

As an aside, did the Badass come as standard on this bass - it seems odd that the octave strings need to run over the back of the bridge (maybe there's a slot in the bridge for this purpose?)

[quote name='lozbass' post='442269' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:41 AM']I've not seen one of these for years - fantastic! I too would go for nickels - it might be worth talking to Newtone - they'll wind anything to your spec. (not cheap but I've found the strings and service to be excellent).

As an aside, did the Badass come as standard on this bass - it seems odd that the octave strings need to run over the back of the bridge (maybe there's a slot in the bridge for this purpose?)[/quote]

I think the Badass was standard - there are certainly quite a few images of these basses with them. It's mounted at an angle, so the strings pass clean over the back easily.

Cool, was wondering if anyone on here had bagged that. Was watching it on Ebay, tempted to bid but don't really need two of the same bass despite how much I love it.
I've got mine strung as a four at the moment. Bit of a shame but because I have to play on top of the fret board (wonky arms) the pairs were the wrong way round to me so near impossible to fret. Need to get a new nut cut at some point with the pairs the other way around.

Fantastic sounding and playing bass.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='442277' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:52 AM']It's mounted at an angle, so the strings pass clean over the back easily.[/quote]

Ahh...that explains it - thanks - fantastic looking bass (and I can imagine it sounds incredible), I'm rather envious!

You could try this website:

[url="http://www.12stringbass.net/"]http://www.12stringbass.net/[/url]

there was an 8 string version of the site but it used to be a bit temperamental.

Hamer used to do a lot of 30" 12 strings but seem to have stopped - maybe try looking for their strings, or failing that, D'addario make strings for Hamer so may make what you are looking for.