Why become a member? ×

FENDER Rumble Studio 40

Buzzment

Hi Jus thanks for replying..I'm pretty new to technical side of things and just recently started playing bass again after 20 years! I only played for a couple of years back then so I'm basically a newbie..I've only tried a few things on it so far since I got it yesterday.. mainly playing with the virtual effects pedals on it..Im a bit clueless in what pedals to put pre amp or post amp to be honest.. don't really understand what or where to put things in order etc..I did notice when I put a fuzz pedal on pre amp and the same pedal post amp the post sounded much louder and better ..I'd like to get some advice or start discussions on the difference between putting a particular pedal or pedals on pre amp FX or post amp FX and in what order..I did notice that when I put the blue compressor pedal before a fuzz pedal the sound was much better and louder..etc..

Ps:..What's the Svt SIM?..Tremelo?

Edited by Buzzment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I have used one of these quite regularly. I wanted something portable with a tuner, effects, and amp sims built in. If it had only been sufficient for an old-school blues band and jazz duo I would have been happy, but it also kicks out enough volume for some pub gigs, admittedly with very controlled players.

I've generally found that it doesn't need any high-pass filtering added; there isn't one on board (apart from the global EQ, which is quite dramatic), but it behaves as if there is some preset filtering which really gets the most out of the power, driver, and enclosure. I've also found that the simple compressor built into the preamp or amp sims is really good for basic levelling. The SVT sim is great, too. I've got a really nice overdriven tone for a Ric 4003 with that for a psychedelic blues-rock band! That it sounds great while keeping up with that kind of thing is partly testament to how well the amp uses its 40 watts and 1x10, and again partly to how little volume is needed to rock out if the rest of the band know how to do it with the music rather than the volume!

The standard analogue Rumble 40 schematic shows a 56Hz 2nd order high-pass built in, it would be consistent for the digital version to have something like this if the box/speaker is similar.

Thanks Jus for your nice comments!!Oh yes I'm aware of the Ampeg Amp..I've only just used the preamp one tho so lots to delve into...

Yes I understand what your saying about the effects and the placement etc..A lot of experimenting to do lol..

I agree with you on the actual normal bass playing and getting used to notes and riffs etc..I have some videos on YouTube of a drummer playing backing tracks at different tempos,so I'm going to play along to this to get used to riffs and notes etc..

I had the old Bronco 40 for a while and thought it was excellent, so this updated version will be a lot for your money. The amp simulators were great, and there was one in particular that I loved. Can't remember the name, maybe redhead or something, but it was an SWR simulation, really good clean modern hifi sounding amp. Also, the software was pretty good how you could move pedals around, so again the updated version must be a lot of fun! Enjoy exploring it, you've got a great piece of kit there. 

Does anyone use any physical effects pedals with the Studio 40,?..I'm thinking of buying the Boss DD effects pedal..I want to connect it to the FX loop at the back..What's the cable set up to do this?..I'd love a stereo effect when listening with headphones..Do I connect 2 inputs from the pedal to the left and right on the send FX loop,then 2 cables from left and right on the return FX loop to the 2 outputs on the pedal?..

Buzzy!  Hi!

The Studio's headphone jack defaults to stereo.  So, if you're using any internal stereo effects you'll hear them thru the headphones.

To connect external stereo pedal(s) to the FX loops you should really connect both FX Sends to the pedal(s)' stereo inputs and the pedal(s)' stereo outputs to both FX Returns.  That way you can use both internal stereo effects as well as external.  

The XLR Outs can be set to stereo if you want to send stereo signals to the PA (cool!) or to a recorder or mixer.  The USB also defaults to stereo output to computers, recorders, consoles & mixers.

Hope this helps.

Edited by G-Dog
Grammar & punctuation

Hey G Dog, good to see you on here🙂..

Thanks for the info..That's great IL get stereo sound through the head phone jack and the FX loop on my Studio 40..So basically when I get the Pedal(I've decided to get a Source Audio Collider instead of the Boss DD) IL connect my bass to the amp..then left and right FX loop sends to pedal inputs,then pedal outputs to  left and right FX loops returns?..

It's ok Jus..I only seen these replies today!!

And yes I already play along to backing music from You Tube etc through the amp..and Yes I use  and hear the stereo delays etc built in on the amp. 👍

Edited by Buzzment
  • Thanks 1