Why become a member? ×

Pickup and bridge advice for EB0 modding

harryharold

I have recently bought myself a epi EB0 (cheers neepheid) which is devoid of pickups, tuners and bridge. I want to make a fair attempt at making this a nice bass though don't care if it ends up looking propper rat like, it just needs to sound and play well. I'm a lefty and its not so it'll get a bit of modifying to make the transition, ie moving the controls onto the scratch plate.
I want to put a replacement pickup in as well as an extra one at the bridge. Also need bridge and tuners.

Pickup wise i was thinking about the DiMarzio Model one as it seems to be the only high quality pickup made for the EB0 though i'm not sure if anyone else make such a pickup.

For the bridge pickup it doesn't matter really but a MM pickup would be good, Bass centre seem to be selling the basslines one for £65 which looks a good deal.

Bridge, something high mass with lots of screws, badass, schaller or the like.

Tuners, don't really care but 2L 2R and exceptable quality.

Does anyone know the best places to find all this? Thoman seem to selling the model one for around £70 but i don't know where the best (cheapest) place is to source a bridge and tuners.

oh and switches, need two little ones for coil tapping and a big one for pickup selection.

any sort of part selection or where to find it advice would be appreciated, always feel like i'm getting ripped off when searching for hardwear.

I am doing a similar mod.

So far I have sourced a Hipshot bridge which is a massive improvement and a direct replacement for EBs.

Just in the process of getting some Schaller BML machine heads which again are direct replacements.

Looking into pick ups.

Have you found the flyguitars site (loads of info on EBs and Mike Watt)?

[quote name='Buzz' post='448756' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:34 PM']For the brigde, if you've got the original 3 peg holes still, I'd say get a Hipshot Supertone as they're designed to replace the gibbo 3 point bridge.

I've got a black one for sale for £50 posted if you're interested.[/quote]

I have one of those (silver) on my EB. Makes a huge difference to set up and just a much better quality lump. £50 well spent I'd say.